Mary
Mary, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ years supporting the Mac graphic arts industry
44751453

Im trying to email a photo from my Mac desktop. I got an

I'm trying to email a photo from my Mac desktop.

I got an error message that says "Cannot send message using server http://www.smtp.live.com" "The server http:www.smtp.live.com cannot be contacted on the default ports."

"select a different outgoing mail server.......
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your Mac issue.

Can you tell me what you mean by trying to email a photo from your Mac desktop. Do you mean that you have a Mac desktop computer (as opposed to a laptop)? Or something else?

Also, which email program do you use normally to send and receive emails?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mary,

We have a mac desktop computer as opposed to a laptop and I selected a photo from iphoto and tried to email it.

I received the error message above.

We have two emails that we normally use:

mine and my husbands: [email protected] - we use Yahoo

my mom's (she lives with us) : [email protected] my mom uses hotmail

Does that help?
So you're trying to email directly from iPhoto?

If you want to use the feature in iPhoto where you can email directly from that program (very nice option!), you'll have to configure iPhoto with the correct SMTP information.

I won't bore you with all the detail regarding SMTP, but it's basically the "post office address" used to forward your mail which will then be sent on to your recipient.

What you'll need to do is setup both email accounts in iPhoto with the relevant information so that iPhoto knows how to send the data.

First however, can you please tell me which version of iPhoto you are using?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know it's not the newest, but
How do I know what version I'm using?
Sorry, I should have explained.

Open up iPhoto and then, once it's started, look at the top of your screen.

Next to the Apple Menu, you will probably see an item called "iPhoto." Under that look for an option "About iPhoto."

That should tell you the version.

Also, when iPhoto is starting up, it might also display a startup screen with the version number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
iphoto '08
Thanks!

IPhoto 8 works a bit differently from iPhoto 11, where the configuration is done in the program itself.

Now I have a question about your Yahoo and/or Hotmail accounts.

When you send or receive email using either account on your Mac, do you start up an actual program (like Mac Mail) or do you sign onto the internet and then go to the Yahoo or Hotmail webpage?

I expect you use the webpage access, but if you do use Mac Mail, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I use webpage access - for ex I sign on to yahoo
That then is a bit more complicated, as iPhoto 8 only can email directly by using the Mac Mail standalone program.

However, there is an easy workaround, but you'll have to do things a bit differently when wanting to email photos.

Rather than typing everything out here, please visit the following link and read the instructions and watch the video.

http://helpmerick.com/how-to-attach-iphoto-images-to-gmail-yahoo-mail-video-tip.htm

Try that method and let me know if it works for you.

I suspect the reason you're getting the error you do is because you don't use the Mac Mail program, so when iPhoto tries to access it, it isn't successful in contacting the correct "post office server."

I'll be interested to learn what you discover.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I just try to upgrade iphoto?
Try the method I outlined above.

If you do upgrade to iPhoto 11, you'll be able to email direct using Yahoo and Hotmail without the use of the Mac Mail program.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mary - thank you. I upgraded to i photo 11 - it was only $14 and I have a lot of pics to email so it was worth it.

I'll try emailing and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
I think you made a good decision, especially since it wasn't expensive to upgrade.

If you have problems configuring iPhoto to use your Yahoo or Hotmail accounts, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

And thanks so much for the accept, I really appreciate it.