Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I dropped my iPhone 4 and now it wont turn on. When I connect

Customer Question

I dropped my iPhone 4 and now it won't turn on. When I connect it to iTunes on my pc the apple symbol just flashes slowly off and on.. Is there any hope.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Lets try a reset on your phone.

The steps below will visually guide you through the process. ( though dont connect the iphone to your computer via a usb cord while doing this)

let me know if the hard reset helps get you past the boot screen..

If it doesnt, we may have to try a restore on the phone next..
To get back to me..

Come back to

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right,, click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Or, you can find any of my replies in your email, click on it and it will bring you back to, and this specific question we are working on together!

If this solution helped, Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you. Also, please rate the solution...

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.
If my answer helped, please make sure to leave positive feedback on the screen that comes up after clicking accept. If my answer did not work, please wait to leave feedback till we get the issue fixed!
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That didn't help......
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Next step.

If you have your iphone connected to your computer.

And you start itunes, can you see your iphone listed in the devices section of itunes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hit the wrong button - didn't mean to accept just yet! Will you still help?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Im still here, and will still help!

Ok.. So the phone isnt showing in itunes at all.. Thats not a good sign.

before we go further, how old is this iphone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Coming up on a year
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Worst case scenario, your still under apples warranty, so if we cant do something to get this working, we should immediately get you in contact with the product replacement team so that you can get a new phone sent..

that being said.. The next steps arent going to be very scientific, but sometimes this will get the phone working.

keep repeating this process over and over.

Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the iPhone) simultaneously.

Dont let go.. the phone should power off.. , and then keep holding while it powers back on.. Wait a few minutes to see if its going to try and start.. And if not, repeat the process.
Every other attempt or so.. Connect the iphone to the computer, and then repeat the reset process above..

Hopefully at some point, the phone will start or at least become visible in itunes so we can restore it. the key here is repitition and diligence. And if after 10 or 12 repeats it isnt showing any new sign of life, let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Don't try the reset while it's connected to the pc, right?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Generally, we dont want to.

But, if repeating the reset over and over doesnt allow the pc to recognize it.. Then we cant hurt it any worse by trying the reset while its connected, and it could help "jog" its brain into working again.. ( though this wont hurt the pc or your itunes at all)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks - I'll keep trying that then. Does the warranty still cover even though I dropped my phone?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes they do.. Depends on whether or not the screen is cracked or not..

If you cant get any signs of life from the phone, heres the number to call and schedule your replacement or repair.

It also has a spot where you can enter your phones serial number to see if your still within the one year warranty..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dustin, my phone is showing some signs of life, not much but maybe you have more suggestions.
My pc is now seeing my phone as an unrecognized device and comes up with the message screen that my phone is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. My phone however does not seem to see that it's hooked up to the computer - displaying a symbol asking to be plugged in to iTunes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Needing to know what to do next and my expert is not available
Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 4 years ago.

I that is better that the phone is at least showing something on the screen. I would take it to the apple store so that they can replace the iphone for you with no cost. Because worst case senairo they suspect that the phone has stop working due to physical damage and they will charge you 149 dollars to have it replaced. I suggest taking it to the store and tell them that the phone started not responding after a software update. That way it would put the fault on the hardware and it would save you 149 dollars.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
You dont have to replace the phone.. We have it finally to the point where it can possibly work!! What we need to do now, since we can see the iphone as a device within itunes. Is right click the phone within itunes. ( with the phone on, and connected to the computer via usb.) Then , right click the phone in itunes Select restore This will start the process to restore the phone, which has about a 50 percent chance of getting your phone working.. This is the angle we need to take, so if you run into any issues restoring the phone, let me know.. Thanks!