CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

ATT mail which is Yahoo keeps asking me for my password XXXXX

ATT mail which is Yahoo keeps asking me for my password XXXXX won't receive or send mail. I fixed it last week by changing my password. This week it is doing the same thing and I spent an hour with a support person telling me to call a pay for help service. The problem is last time I used such a service they couldn't help me and I figured it out on my own.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
go to apple menu ---- software update

installed all available update

CompExpert :

then reboot your system, remove your yahoo email from mail

CompExpert :

and re-setup your account again

CompExpert :

try that and see if it workout for you

Customer:

I've done that.

Customer:

Its the ATT mail account that is asking me for my password. Last week I reset the password XXXXX it worked until today. I just re entered the account on mac mail and restarted. There isn't any updates according to the software update.

Customer:

I will check again

CompExpert :

also, you might have keychain password. to remove it

1. Open Keychain Access, located in /Applications/Utilities.

2. Choose Edit > Keychain List, then select the keychain you want to delete.

3. Click Delete (-).

Customer:

I will do that again also. I know that the password XXXXX XXXXX because I can log in through the webpage. Mac mail is where I get the rejected password.

CompExpert :

i think the problem is, your computer might save your password XXXXX keychain, since you change your password. your mac didnt know that and will continue to see your new password XXXXX wrong password

CompExpert :

but go ahead and delete keychain and give it another try

Customer:

I've deleted all the keychain references and now I can't even set up the account again

CompExpert :

go to system preferences ---->>> mail

CompExpert :

delete any email account you have in there

CompExpert :

by click on the minus sign

CompExpert :

and reboot your system

CompExpert :

then go back there and re-setup your mail

Customer:

How do I find this chat again?

CompExpert :

bookmark this page

CompExpert :

just open it again when you come back

Customer:

OK I will try this agian

Customer:

again

CompExpert :

okay

Customer:

I just reset my account on mac mail and rebooted the system and I still have the same thing. ATT won't accept the password XXXXX mac mail. The password XXXXX online.

CompExpert :

try to reset your password XXXXX more time

CompExpert :

and try it again

Customer:

reset the password XXXXX the account?

CompExpert :

yes

CompExpert :

from online yahoo website

CompExpert :

reset your email password

Customer:

OK So, I did all of the above again and it now works. Thank you for your help. Seems like a hit and miss way of doing it. Is there something else I can do since, this seems to occur every couple of months?

CompExpert :

i believe it the operating system is the problem. maybe later on, apple might update a fix for it

CompExpert :

please click accept, thank you and a great day

Customer:

It happens with ATT a lot. There was last year when I could receive mail and not send because the two servers weren't talking and someone was kind enough to finally listen to me and manually reset my password XXXXX both servers since the secured server wouldn't pass it along. Doesn't make sense to me

Customer:

thanks

CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience: Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified