Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

how do i delete duplicate contacts on my iPhone 4S

Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 5 years ago.
Are you syncing contacts from your Address Book on your Mac to your iPhone via iCloud or iTunes? If so, check to see if the duplicates are on the computer. You can do that by opening Address Book > Card (menubar) > Look for Duplicates. Afterwards, sync your phone to iTunes or, if you use iCloud, it will sync automatically.

If that is not the case, tell me more about where the contacts are being synced from.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there are no duplicates when I open the address book as you instructed. Yes I do use I cloud
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the contacts on my mac are coming from iCloud. I do sink with iTunes as well
Expert:  Toby K. replied 5 years ago.
If you have iCloud syncing Contacts, as well as, iTunes syncing your Address Book, that is probably the problem.

1. Open iTunes
  2. Select iPad under Devices
  3. On the right side, select the Info tab to see if 'Sync Contacts' is selected.

graphic

If it is, then I say turn off the iTunes sync and keep iCloud.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the sync contacts in iTunes was not selected already
Expert:  Toby K. replied 5 years ago.
On your iPhone, open Contacts > select Groups > and see which Group you have selected. Sometimes having All Contacts selected can cause duplicates. You can also try the following:

On your iPhone, go to Settings > iCloud > turn off Contacts > select Delete from iPhone > turn Contacts back On. It should sync the correct
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have all contacts selected I also went into iCloud and turned off contacts then deleted and turned b ack on. I still have duplicates. Not every contact is duplicate but some are as many as 4-5 times.
Expert:  Toby K. replied 5 years ago.
If you have All Contacts selected, you could have duplicates because say you have Gmail, your computers, an iCloud account. If all of them have the same address and they weren't merged, then they would show.

To solve this problem, you should just select "All on my iPhone". When you want to view other accounts, you can select that group or select All Contacts.

Do you have Lion on your computer? If so, it has iCloud, and most likely turned on. You should open up Address Book on your Mac and check for duplicates. Address Book > Card (menubar) > Look for Duplicates.

Does that make sense? I know it can get a little confusing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I do have Lion on my computer
Expert:  Toby K. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so go ahead and run Address Book > Card (menubar) > Look for Duplicates. Another thing you can do is turn off iCloud Contacts on your computer, System Preferences > iCloud > Contacts OFF. It's up to you on how you want it setup. I still say leave it like it is, and on your phone, just select "All on my iPhone". You can also find the duplicates and delete them manually, if they aren't that many. But I'm pretty sure this is all coming from an iCloud sync between your phone and computers, and maybe an an email account.