Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support

iMac stuck on grey screen with a circle with a line thru it

Customer Question

iMac stuck on grey screen with a circle with a line thru it instead of the apple with spinning wheel-rebooted, unplugged both ends , rebooted ,
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.

Toby K. :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer!

Toby K. :

Try this:

Perform a Safe Boot:

1. Shut down your Mac. If necessary, hold your Mac's power button for several seconds to force it to power down.
  2. Start your Mac, then immediately hold the Shift key.

Note
    : A Safe Boot takes longer than a typical start up because it includes a disk check and other operations.
  3. If your Mac starts up as expected, immediately try restarting.

Customer : I have to type a password- do I let go of key.
Toby K. :

Yes, go ahead and type the password

Toby K. :

and when you get the desktop, then select Apple > Restart to perform a restart.

Toby K. :

and then just let it boot up without pressing any keys

Toby K. :

Yes, go ahead and type the password. When you get the desktop, then select Apple > Restart to perform a restart, and then just let it boot up without pressing any keys

Toby K. :

Customer : I have to type a password- do I let go of key. Wheel still spinning -the apple was replaced by the circle with a line- wheel is still spinning
Customer : I have to type a password- do I let go of key. Wheel still spinning -the apple was replaced by the circle with a line- wheel is still spinning Still on gray screen
Toby K. :

So you have a screen where you have to type a password, but you have a spinning wheel as well?

Toby K. :

Is it asking for a password, as well as, having a spinning wheel?

Toby K. :

Do you have the OS X DVD?

Customer : It's the grey screen that has my id and box for password imput. The iMac apple is above the pic. Once password is entered , then it takes me to the desktop
Toby K. :

Ok, so what happens if you sign in?

Toby K. :

do you have a Desktop?

Customer : It's the grey screen that has my id and box for password imput. The iMac apple is above the pic. Once password is entered , then it takes me to the desktop No-password first-spinning wheel-
Toby K. :

Can you sign in?

Toby K. :

Ok, were you able to sign in, yes or no?

Toby K. :

Can you sign in, yes or no?

Toby K. :

can you see anything that I'm typing you?

Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what is going on with the chat, but all I kept receiving was the same response over and over.

Can you sign in, yes or no? If yes, then are you able to reboot the iMac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't make my reply go thru
Did u get it.
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
All I kept seeing was this:

"It's the gray screen that has my id and box for password input. The iMac apple is above the pic. Once password is entered , then it takes me to the desktop"

I want to know if you can sign in or not. If you can't, is it because you have a spinning wheel? I need more information about the state that computer is in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry' I had to stop for dinner
No I sign in but it takes me nowhere: the little wheel spins, and the apple changes to the circle with the line thru it, but it remains on the grey screen -the wheel is still spinning-
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
I think the program you ran deleted system files that are required to function. Do you backup your computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
To the time machine, I think
Let me check
It's an external drive and it's automatically done - one moment please
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
My suggestion is to restore from a backup. Do you know how to do that? If not, tell me if you have Lion, Snow Leopard, etc installed on your Mac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No , not a Mac - my backup is not on a disc but rather an
External drive -I would love instructions- thank you
I have Lion
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
OS X Lion includes a built in set of utilities in the Recovery HD. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), and keep holding them until the Apple icon appears, indicating that your Mac is starting up. After the Recovery HD is finished starting up, you should see a desktop with a Mac OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" application window.

You should see "Restore from Time Machine Backup" and follow the prompts. If it's successful, your computer should boot up with no problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Uh oh- it is not pulling up the desktop- its doing the same
Thing , but skipped password entry
It's a the grey screen with the circle and spinning wheel
Can I send u a pic
If not, I guess I ll need my Mac guy to make a house call.
Any other suggestions ?
Expert:  Toby K. replied 2 years ago.
I'm going to recommend you call your local Mac tech. There is too much at risk (your files) for us to continue in this format. I don't want you to do the wrong thing that causes you to lose your files.