Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
35684427

the excel files on my wifes macbook wont open. The message

the excel files on my wife's macbook won't open. The message is that the files cant be accessed. The hard drive has the wrong name - coudl that be it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. I'm willing to keep working until you are satisfied.

That could be it. I'm assuming you are using the Open Recent command...Try just using: File Menu > Open... and navigating to the files.

Customer:

Done that..same result

Steve :

What is the result? When you find the file and try to open it, does it give you a message?

Customer:

actually - it says the file may be read only or you may be trying to access a readonly location

Steve :

So, the permissions (or settings that say who can and can't access the files) may be messed up. You can repair permissions by starting up from your System DVD. Let me know if you need directions for that.

Steve :

Depending upon the system disk their will be different ways to find the Disk Utility program...usually under the Utilities Menu as soon as you click thru far enough for it to show up. Once you have it running choose to Repair Permissions.

Customer:

Finder lists the hard drive name as "J'AS - it used to be something intelligible like Macintosh HD or Chris Windsor's Mac Book ...

Steve :

You can rename it, probably Macintosh HD, but I'm not sure that will solve the issue.

Steve :

It might though, try it, restart, then come back to this page and let me know if it worked.

Customer:

Can't work out how to rename it....

Steve :

Click twice on the Name, not the icon and the name should become highlighted and ready to edit.

Steve :

If you click too fast it will just open the Disk. So, click, slight pause, click on the name.

Steve :

You can rename any folder, disk, or document the same way.

Customer:

Well that's what I thought too...but when I do that and hit shift M, the folder "previous system" in Finder is high lighted

Steve :

Try this instead, click once on the Hard Disk to select it then choose File Menu > Get Info

Steve :

An info window about the object will appear and you can edit the name there.

Steve :

Before you were probably clicking on the hard disk in a Finder Window. To do it that way, get rid of the windows and click on it on the Desktop.

Customer:

OK, thanks. I have changed the name of the HD and that seems to work to an extent. The excel file I wanted to open comes out as, although other excel files open OK. The one I opened may have been worked on after the hard drive name got changed

Customer:

woops - opens as "read-only"

Steve :

Use File Menu > Save As.. and save it with a slightly different name in a location where you can find it. See if you can work on it.

Steve :

It may be that that file only became corrupted. If the saving doesn't work, copy and paste the content into a brand new file and save that.

Customer:

Ok done - all fixed! Thanks Steve.