Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.

Operating System – Lion 10.7.3 Computer Mac 27 Serial #YD013F7G5PE I

Operating System – Lion 10.7.3
Computer Mac 27 Serial #YD013F7G5PE

I inherited this computer from my son-in-law (deceased). I thought that I was adding myself as a user in System Preference and deleted him. I was able to delete him and add me. I (Sara Leaderman) have a password XXXXX works and I was able to change the admin password XXXXX mine. I do not have a “home” folder. Antonm shows up in everything that I do while logged in as Sara Leaderman - ie save to documets is listed as documents/antonm. It is a though, while the computer says that I am logged in a Sara Leaderman, everything is tied back to antonm. As seen below, there is no sara leaderman as a user on the hard drive. I have tried to set up new accounts and they show up on the hard drive, however, when I log in, there is no home folder and antonm shows up in everything just as it does when I am logged in as Sara Leaderman. Is there a way to retain the Sara Leaderman files, folders, address books, calendar, apps etc. as they are while getting rid of antonm and creating a home folder for Sara Leaderman

In System Preferences Under Users:
1 – User Admin
2 - User Sara Leaderman
Account Name: antonm
Home Directory: /users/antonm
Alias: [email protected]
3 – User Guest

In the Hard Drive Users folder:
Antonm (this folder has the home image)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. I'm willing to keep working until you are satisfied.

This is odd and it worries me that you will have more issues with this Mac but to solve this problem now, I would logout as Sara and back in as Anton.

Then create a new user with administrative permissions. Just use a different spelling of our name, say sleaderman.

That should create the home folder etc. You can move your stuff to the Shared folder, logout, login as sleaderman and copy things to the new good home folder. When all is well, the old problem user account can be deleted (don't' do that until you are sure you have everything!).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Steve - Logging in as antonm is not one of the log ins available. I tried to create an account "antonm" in preferences and I get a message saying that there is already an account with that name. Any ideas?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Yes, just create the new account logged in as you are.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I had tried this before but decided to try again. I can create an admin account using SLeaderman. It still does not show a home folder and I cannot open some apps such as Quicken. This is not the fix. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
If it failed again it indicates that the system is corrupt and needs to be re-installed. It is a big job. You'll need to backup your files, erase and reformat the hard disk and reinstall the system and do all the updates.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Steve - everything works except that I do not have a "home" folder when I log in as sara leaderman. I think that I am going to leave it alone for the time being. Perhaps, at some time in the future, I will take the computer to the Genius Bar at my local Apple store. I think that there has to be a way to delete antonm as a user in the hard drive user directory. If you should come up with a way to do this, please let me know.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
I recommend rebuilding this Mac. I think the Apple store will concur. Good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Steve - I am not in a postion to rebuild this computer at this time. As I stated in my previous reply, I feel that the issue is that the home folder for antonm or perhaps the home folder for sara leaderman listed in users andgroups needs to be changed. I am reluctant to make this change, however, as I may ot be able to log back in. Your thoughs?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Messing around with home folders is NOT recommended. The fact that your system is creating users without home folders proves it is corrupt. You can't really change them manually. Your data is at risk! Back it up! And plan on the computer being rebuilt as soon as possible. I know that it is not good news but it is the facts.