Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am having issues turning on my bluetooth, can someone help

I am having issues turning on my bluetooth, can someone help me step by step? There maybe an issue, not sure. MAC book 13"
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Turning it using what device?
I mean is this the computer, iPad, iPod?
If Mac then please tell me the version of OS X you have. Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is a laptop, OS X system
I figured as much, please tell em which version of OS X and the processor speed. I do not ask for this info just to pass the time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.5.8
2 GHz intel core 2 Duo
Memory 1GB 667 MHz DDR2
Thank you.
This will help with explaining what Bluetooth is and how to use it.

What are you trying to setup via Bluetooth? If an iPhone the phone has to setup as a hotspot.
If a Keyboard or Mouse then the Bluetooth setup is found in System Preferences/Bluetooth.
graphic
graphic
graphic

Click the plus to add a new device and follow the prompts.

Does that help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am trying to set up my htc protouch which has bluetooth. The problem is, I used to have the bluetooth working fine on my laptop. But now I can't find it. When I go to apple menu, about this computer and more info and choose bluetooth I get "no information"
That isn't good but maybe addressable.
Try a pram reset, this should bring it back.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes. This is the sound it makes when it starts.

graphic
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Give that a try and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still says No information found. Dang
Ok, now we will try one more reset.
If you can remove the battery then follow these instructions.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
If you cannot remove the battery then do this.

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Try that, if that fails then it will require service and that is something I cannot do, an Apple store is where I would take it.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still no information found. This is weird. I have not removed it or done anything. thanks anyways
No, you did not remove it, it is built into the machine and is a separate circuit board, easy enough to replace but I suggest having Apple do it. They are quite reasonable in pricing (if your Applecare has run out) with (in this case) a one day turnaround.

Here is where to find the closest store and make an appointment.
Type in your zip code.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
naaah, I don't want to spend money to bring it back. But thanks you were helpful