i-cubed
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net
56033340

help my son did a podcast on garage band, I saved it to documents

help my son did a podcast on garage band, I saved it to documents it has an itunes icon, I can play it on my computer through itunes but when I saved it to a CD it does not show the pictures, I think it is in Mp4a format, it will play with quick times, how can i convert it to a format that I can burn to a dvd?
Category: Mac
Expert:  i-cubed replied 2 years ago.

i-cubed :

Hello - you should be able to do this with iMovie. I have archived a number of video podcasts this way and burned them to DVD with iDVD.

Customer:

How do I do this with IMovie?

i-cubed :

Open iMovie and create a new EVENT (name it whatever you want). Once you create the event highlight that event and CONTROL-Click it; select Import Movie. Find the file you saved - that is the 'movie' you are importing. Once the file is imported, create a new PROJECT and use the content of the event for the project.

i-cubed :

Once the project is composed/finished, save it. Then click on the SHARE menu at the top and select iDVD.

Customer:

I am trying to make this work right now, will let you know if I succeed, what is control-click it is it on the top bar?

i-cubed :

Hold down the CONTROL key on your keyboard ((it is on the same row as the SPACEBAR) while you are clicking.

Customer:

ok did that here is the problem did the import but the file while saved in documents has an itunes icon and is greyed out, I cannot import it, its stuck in itunes as a podcast, what do i do?

i-cubed :

Go to itunes and find the Podcast. Highlight it and CONTROL-Click it. Select SHOW IN FINDER.

i-cubed :

Once you see it in FINDER, I would copy it and paste it to the DESKTOP or someplace easy to find. Don't mess with the original.

Customer:

ok, I moved the icon to desktop I tried to import it by selecting desktop, it comes up but it is greyed out again and I can't import it.

i-cubed :

Did you copy it or drag it? If it was a DRAG, that only creates a shortcut which cannot b eused by iMovie.

Customer:

ok i copied it to desktop, i got an itunes iconwith a M4a heading underneath, i tried to import it to imovies, it said that there were no importable items in the desktop it was greyed out again.

Customer:

I can play this thing with quick time, can we convert it from quick time, I don't understand why it won't import.

i-cubed :

Hmmm. I've never had this problem. This podcast is something your son made in GarageBand, right? Lets look at another option. Go to this site and download the free software and install it (It is really free; not a trial) - http://www.squared5.com/

i-cubed :

MPEG StreamClip will convert files to other media formats. I usually convert problem MPEGS to DV (DigitalVideo) format and then import the new DV file into iMovie.

i-cubed :

How big is this file?

Customer:

ok but i have mac osx 10.6.8 it says something about updating and the site you reference has several downloads.. which one,

i-cubed :

Have to reset Firefox; be right back...

Customer:

ok you have been great and I'm sorry I can't get this imovie to work, I would like to know how in the future to make this conversion as I shot on my camera and have a ton of quick time movies could I schedule a chat with you? advise how we could do that, for now I actually burned the icon to a DVD I put it in my laptop and you can select play with quick times, austons teacher uses a mac so I think this will work for today, the format hasn't changed but she should be able to use the DVD to play presentation. I have accepted but please let me know if and how I could schedule a chat with you to get this quick time style or format of video to a regular dvd format to play on a tv etc.

i-cubed :

The anchor page that JustAnswer gives me is this - http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-i-cubed/ Google searches for 'i-cubed' probably won't show that link though. I've been doing this type of thing since 1984.

i-cubed :

I've been with JustAnswer since November 2011. Hope you get a stress-free chance to figure this out. Have a great weekend.

i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net