Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My iMac 12.1 is behaving strangely. Two days ago Power Point

My iMac 12.1 is behaving strangely. Two days ago Power Point crashed, swallowing my presentation, and though I had consistently back up refusing to provide a recovery.
This morning Airport had strangely disappeared. I tried every thing I could do to restore it, but it could not be found, even though it is working perfectly on my Macair, which I am using to send this message. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried solution 1 and 2. They did not restore Airport and I still cannot find a back-up for the Power Point file that I lost. I'd say neither worked.

I am ready to try solution 3 but realize I don't quite understand the dirctions. Do I hold down the command an s keys AFTER the computer has booted--or do I hold them down until the Apple appears as in the other example?

Second, do I keep holding down the CS while typing the /sbin. . . etc.?

Third, where do I type /sbin????

Can you clarify?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hold down immediately after you turn on your computer and you will get a prompt to type.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I did it (solution 3). It checked a long list and then said: the volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.

Now what do I do? This message is still on my screen. Do I type in something else?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, type reboot and press return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried sending a question about an hour ago and it seems not to have gone through. I was able to run the test offered in Solution 3. It reported that "the volume HD appears to be OK"
What next? Do I turn off the computer and see if Airport appears? How do I deal with the missing Power Point file? I still don't have an answer to my basic concerns. Am I missing some step in the process?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, we had some issues with the site. I replied to you earlier. Here it is, Yes, type reboot and press return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am happy to know that my HD appears to be o.k. , but that wasn't my problem. My problem was two crashing programs within a few days--first Power Point and now Airport, both of which are important to my work. They are exactly where they were when we began. If you have further suggestions, I am happy to know about them, but at this point I am afraid you haven't been able to solve the problem. Are their next steps?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Those are basic troubleshooting steps. You can reset the SMC of your Mac and see if that works or not

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Does that fix your Airport ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sadly, this made no difference. I get the message "Airport not configured" and can't find it in the software. It appears to have vanished.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I hope the Airport isn't fried. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.6.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. This is a pretty new computer and came with the operating system installed. The only discs I have are two orange colored discs that may have come with my first iMac. I'm not sure. One says iMac Software REstore and the other iMac Software Install. They both say "For iMac DV models, SSW version 9. The "Install" one says(NNN) NNN-NNNNA, the "Restore" one says(NNN) NNN-NNNNA.

What would "fry" Airport?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Not sure, but have seen this happend before. Did you checked the box of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not save the packing box the computer came in but I didn't throw anything away that was in it.
So are you saying you have seen this happen to Airport before? On this particular model computer?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, i've had some clients with that problem before. But the SMC Reset fixed most of them. And some needed to take it to the store. Is there anyway to get them ?

Every Mac came with the Mac OS X installation discs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Voila! I misfiled them. There are two gray discs--one says "Mac OS X Install" and the other "Applications Install."
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Great ! I assume the version of disc is 10.6

Put the disc 1 to your Mac and reinstall your Mac OS X with it by following onscreen instructions. This won't delete any of your files, but will just fix system files. If this is a software problem, it will fix the Airport issue. For the PowerPoint issue, can you send me the presentation ? So i can check it on my computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am now installing on the iMac with Disc 1.
I will try to send the Power Point presentation but my e-mail program usually won't take such large files.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Upload the file to www.wikisend.com and send me the link of the uploaded file
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. This will take awhile no doubt.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Take your time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OS X is now reinstalled. Nothing has changed re Airport or Powerpoint. What is my next step?
Disc 2?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Then Airport must be failed and you need to take it to the store to get it fixed.

For power point, can you send the PPT file ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've never done this before. is this what you need?

http://wikisend.com/download/381292/

The file is called "Sentimentality and Plurality." This is the crashed file. It eliminated almost all of my photographs. I put one back--the first one called 'Libby Family Register" and then didn't dare do anything more for fear it would crash again. The crash occurred when I went to "View Slide Show." Things went dark. I got an error message, clicked on "send to Powerpoint" or whatever it said about reporting error, but I was unable to find a recovered file. Very strange, since I have used Power Pointfo years and have never had this kidn fo problem.

I realize this may be distinct from the loss of Airport--but have two applications malfunction with a few days raised the questionf or me if something was amiss in the computer. I will check with the Mac dealer, but if you are willing to take a look at my file, I would be grateful (and will surely pay you since you have been helpful, even if the answer appears to be that "Airport" crashed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is the file. I will check it and let you know
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I checked it and i'm able to open the Presentation but as you said, the images are gone.

It might be caused by the bad preference files of Power Point. We can trash it and see if that helps

Go to Macintosh HD/User/[username]/Library/Preferences/ and trash com.Microsoft.powerpoint.plist file

Now edit the Presentation again and see if it crashes. Do regular backup using Save As method.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc