Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi - I am running Mac OS x V. 10.6.8 for 14 months. On my laptop

Customer Question

Hi - I am running Mac OS x V. 10.6.8 for 14 months. On my laptop being recharched (it ran out of battery power and closed down) I discovered all my Entrourage email folders were empty. I had to reconfigure my email account. This is now working fine however forums tell me that I can reinstall the folders by uploading the main identity/database file via Finder. No success here. Is this right, if so how do i do this?! Or is there another way of restoring all my past emails...? Can anyone help with this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you deleted the account and added it back you are still using the same identity so in that case probably can’t get it back is that what you did?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike - i am not sure what my original identity was! Is there a way of retrieving my original identity?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If that is how you did it, you are still using the original identity... understand? There is no "other" identity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lets start again - when I turned on my Mac my entourage files were empty. I was unable to send email so I checked account settings to see I needed to re-enter password XXXXX The account identity was also missing so I entered what I THOUGHT was the right one. (email works fine) BUT when I tried to drag in the database into the entourage window it would not move. So how to I get the old data back into my email files?

Led
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.6.8

2.4 ghz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1067 mhz DDR3 memory

On verifying hard drive message says disk needs to be repaired. I will do this and get back to you?

L
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac HD was successfully repaired!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? Your drive was corrupt so that is why you lost your identity. What version of Office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
repairing permissions now - looks like it might take a long time! will let you know when done.. thx
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
What version of Office please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes permissions repaired. Thanks for explaining loss of identity. I have put in what i THINK was my account identity - is that relevant to the problem of restoring past emails? Entourage v 12.3.2
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No "Identities" are a database in Entourage you can’t "put it in" it is either there or not. I think you are referring to signing into your email account..... not the same thing. Go to Apple Logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - installments are done - restarting...
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok after open Entourage and got o Entourage / Switch Identities. If you see your other identity choose it, if not that is all you have.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You can try:

Quit Entourage hold down Option and start Entourage this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, Rebuild the Database.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done rebuild database. What now? Still only recent emails in inbox - not my original list.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you miss this post?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I got the post - there is only the main identity showing in the window. I think we got crossed wires - what should I do now...?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That's it you only have one identity, sorry. Seems you've lost it. Whoi is your email provider?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pop3 - i understand that i only have one identity but isnt the database stored somewhere on the mac - can i restore it from an external hard drive recently updated?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
pop3 is not an email provider. You identity is your identity that's it, if you have a backup that is another story is it a time machine backup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes a time machine backup. Should i find out who email is provided by?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Quit all programs. Go to your documents folder and select Microsoft User Data folder open Time Machine and go back to before this happened and click on Restore, choose option to Keep Both then after, hold down Option and start Entourage this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, Rebuild the Database.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have clicked on last backup (2012-02-15-1325)but cant see Restore?! (time machine is backing up at the moment...)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you are in the Time Machine starfield do you see the list of dates on the right?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No - but I am now! Can see list of dates on right - and see restore but it wont click.?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you know how to use Time Machine?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would seem that i dont! is there something i should know??
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I gave you the link to the tutorial did you see that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh sorry - I will check it out and get back..
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike I have reinstalled the database into Entourage - many thanks for your help in getting me there!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Great!!!