Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have CS3. I use InDesign a lot, but today when I tried to

Customer Question

I have CS3. I use InDesign a lot, but today when I tried to pdf an INDD file it told me that the pdf library failed to initialise. I have restarted, quitted and re-started etc but it still gives the same message. How can I get the pdf library to initialise, please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike
Version is 10.7; Processor is 2.4 GHz, Intel Core Duo; Memory is 4Gb 1067MHz DDR3. I have already done the Repair permissions and verified the disk, still tI get the message in InDesign that the PDF library failed to initialise.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
CS3 is in no way supported on Lion... you will need to upgrade to 5.5 that is 10 year old program. Sorry it will work much faster too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually it does work perfectly well except for that one pdf thing, and that happened yesterday before I installed Lion. Do you know where I can buy just InDesign 5.5 as I don't want the whole suite?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I reinstalled the original disk and now it works perfectly with Lion, so, sorry but you aren't correct that Lion doesn't support CS3.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Good luck with that.