Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Help. Gave my 7yr old daughter the iPad for Christmas, she

Customer Question

Help. Gave my 7yr old daughter the iPad for Christmas, she loves it. Have bought a lot of app games. She's had an iPod for 2 yrs, loves her music. She wanted an iTouch for after-school care, but spent everything on the iPad 64G and apps. So, bought a used 2nd gen iTouch from HS kid. Figured out how to erase, reset, and load her iTunes.

However, I can't figure out how to set up the wi-fi or transfer her game apps, and already deleted the existing games and movies because they were too old for her. When I bought it I specifically asked if I needed for Verizon or ATT and was told no.

Under Settings the wi-fi tab is pale and won't open when I touch it.
When I to to the General tab and click on Bluetooth it's on and searching, but can't find.

When I click on Network it says VPN not conneted, when I change to ON it gives me 3e options:
L2TP, PPTP, IPSec
What are they and how do I set up internet for the iTouch. We do have we-fi active in the house.
Desperate to get this working before she goes to school today and off to her father's for the weekend.
Thank you!
Dawn
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

What is the full brand and model name of your wireless router, please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Internet is through Comcast cable, their highest speed.
Router is Netgear.

I also bought a 4G-LTE MiFi for her iPad & iTouch through Verizon this week, for when she's not home.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you kindly for the update.

Please, do not forget to click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button if you found my answer helpful.

Please, follow the instructions below to resolve your problem:
  • On the iPad, tap Settings
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Reset
  • Tap Reset Network Settings
  • Reset the Network Settings
  • Tap Settings > Wifi, choose your network and connect.

Please, keep me updated on the status of your problem if there are any further issues. I will be available to respond.

After you click the green ACCEPT ANSWER button now, you can always continue communication with me if you have problems by logging into this site and pulling up this chat history.

Thank you,
- Jason

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jason. Sorry if I was confusing. iPad is fine. Need help with iTouch.
When I tap on the Settings icon, there's nothing for "Network Settings" or reset. Is that somewhere else on the 2nd gen iTouch?
Thank you -

On the iPad, tap Settings
Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Reset
Tap Reset Network Settings
Reset the Network Settings
Tap Settings > Wifi, choose your network and connect.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the update.

The instructions are the same for the iTouch.

After tapping "Settings", you must scroll to the very bottom of the next page. At that time, you will see the reset button.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found it under -
Settings / General / Network / Network reset - it cleared to factory settings. Now what? Still can't click on wi-fi.
Thx
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the update.

Perhaps, I am not understanding fully.

What happens when you tap "Wifi"?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wi-fi tab is pale, nothing happens when you tap on it.
That's the key to my problem.

Found option to add VPN, but not sure what that is, would that help?
If so, I don't know the answers to the VPN questions (listed above).

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

This is curious. I assume that you have already verified that "Airplane Mode" is turned off.

You will have to restore the iTouch to a base firmware install, which will erase everything on the iTouch, but you can later restore the contents of the iTouch to a backup that you have on the computer (the same computer you used in the past to sync the phone with):
- Press and hold the top power button until the iTouch turns off
- Connect the iTouch to the computer that you have been using the phone and iTunes with
- Hold down the HOME button on the front while pressing the Power button (continue holding the home button)
- Continue to hold the HOME button until you see the "Connected to iTunes" message
- In the Summary tab, click Restore and follow the prompts. (THIS WILL ERASE everything on the iTouch and make it just as it was when you first purchased the phone).
- Once that is complete, right click the iTouch listing in the left panel of the iTunes window
- Choose "Restore from Backup"
- Choose a backup date from when it was working and restore.

Now your iTouch will be back up and have all the restored information from your last sync.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jason,
I did this process twice yesterday, erasing, resetting, and reloading.
But will try it a 3rd time -
Dawn
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the update.

This time, do NOT Restore from backup.

Once it resets, verify that you can use the wireless.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleared and reset as new but still can't access wi-fi.
what now?
thx
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the update.

After the restoration was complete, you specifically chose not to restore?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did not restore from backup. Set up as new. Those were the 2 options given.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the update.

You may have to download an updated version of firmware to get this going.

What is the full model name of your iTouch? You can get this information by tapping Settings > About.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model MB531LL
Version 4.2.1 (8C148)
Serial # XXXXX
WiFi Address - n/a
Bluetooth 00.22.41.A7.E1.39
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Please, download the firmware for your iTouch at the following site: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

- Click the pull down bar on the bottom of the page and choose your iTouch from the list.
- Download and save that file
- Open iTunes
- Plug your iTouch into the computer
- While holding down the Shift button on the keyboard, click the RESTORE button
- Choose the file you just downloaded and update your iTouch with it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Downloaded the software, plugged in, held down shift button, but it didn't give me a restore button option, went right to sync.

I had a lot of work to do before 7am, I've now lost 2 hours trying to set up this iTouch wi-fi. Won't see my daughter again until Monday.
And in 45 min I have to get her up & ready for school, and I have to be ready to leave for a weekend of work with my boss.

Any quick solutions to get the wi-fi on now? Help.
Frustrated and Desperate.
Is it quicker by phone? My cell XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Thx
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Being that you are pressed for time, I assume you not have any problems with me remoting in and doing this for you.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=c9637dad-536f-4207-85b3-9e82ec7cb448&SUPPORT=NET

Once I have remoted in, we will have this fixed in approximately six minutes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jason, I clicked on the link as soon as you sent it, and 8 min later it's still showing a box "Joining session" with a rotating circle ,,,,

My daughter's mini-laptop is Windows based, not MAC.

Should I click on "try another option" ???

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Yes, please, try the other options.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

It appears that the remote is not going to work for some reason.

Please, try the restore again.

- Plug the iTouch into the computer
- Open iTunes
- Click to choose your iTouch in the screen on the left side
- Hold down the SHIFT button and click the "Restore" button on the right area of the screen
- Choose the file you downloaded earlier and choose it.
- Allow the restore to complete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

software just finished ,,, message now says Expert has ended session ,,,,

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Please, try the restore again.

- Plug the iTouch into the computer
- Open iTunes
- Allow the restore to complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to go, out of time. Will be in touch again Monday night to fix the wifi.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

After you click the Accept Answer button, you can get back into touch with me later if you have any problems by simply, coming back to this page.

Thank you again,