iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

RA hg

Customer Question

I have a Macbook and was writing a Word doc when the laptop shut down due to the adapter unplugging. I immediately plugged in the adapter and powered up the Mac. My document was still on the screen as a recovered document (do you want to save changes? save). Then the document was gone and not to be found on the HD. I did find recovered files in the Trash. There were a number of them titled dftmpFHDNHFLMkqlkkkk-------- I cannot open them. I went to Apple and they suggested I add an extension to the files. I did and now under Preview I see a document with a white W on blue header and typed words beneath and there is a lower case a as a watermark. When I click on that, I get a blank Word document. Any way to retrieve these files and make them legible??? Help!!   ADDITIONAL INFO:  I have contacted Apple and the ball is in MS Word's court.  Since words appear in the preview, yet I can't OPEN the document???
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.

iteachmac : Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.
iteachmac : Hi
iteachmac : If the doc was saved , there may be some auto save data.
iteachmac : Tip:Please learn to save documents frequently while you are working on them on any computer OS changes to a document will be lost if not saved.There are auto save options in Microsoft Word's preferences(look under the Word menu for preferences) and set Word to autosave.
iteachmac : MS word :If you saved the document, then what you'll be able to recover depends onhow your preferences were set and when you last hit Save.If your Save preferences are set at the default, AutoRecover isset to save every 10 minutes. Word should have saved thedocument intact within the last ten minutes of typing.
iteachmac : If you manually hit Save during the ten minutes autosave you will have more saved .You can go to the finder and see if your Document is in the Documents folder .In any case the Document must have been saved for auto save to work . i.e a blank or new document may not auto save until it is saved manually .
iteachmac : Auto Save files for Microsoft word on Mac OSX:
iteachmac : Under your user's profile on the Mac HD , look in the folder "Microsoft User Data" under "Documents" e.g. on your computer it would be found in :
iteachmac : Mac HD/Users/Your user/Documents/Microsoft User data/file name
iteachmac : Any auto save documents for MS word would be found there. Can you find the doc autosave ? I hope this helps .Thanks.