Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

I just installed more memory on my Mac Intel desktop, but tonight

I just installed more memory on my Mac Intel desktop, but tonight when I'm working on photos it says that my start up disk is almost full, and I need to delete some files...
I ought to have twice as much memory as before, from 1GB to 2GB.
However, when I checked my memory it says that the ECC is disabled.
Could that be my problem?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.

Actually, RAM memory is not a permanent storage device (RAM memory is a lot faster than hard drive); it is for temporarily storing running programs and temporary data only; everything from the RAM memory is deleted when the computer is turned off. The storage device on your computer is the hard disk drive, which you may need to upgrade to a bigger sized hard drive, or you can just move some of your data files to an external USB hard drive; more details:
How checking your hard disk space:

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds to me that I purchased the wrong thing! What would be the fastest way to get more room on my disk, so I can continue working on these photos?
You did not necessarily purchase the wrong thing; having more RAM memory usually makes programs run a bit faster.

The fast way is to get an external USB hard drive and plug it in the computer, then transfer/move some of your files from the computer to the external USB hard drive.

Thank you.