Lindie-mod
Lindie-mod,

RA - JDD

Customer Question

I purchase and load 10,000 leads at a time into an auto dialler using a .csv file format. These leads have name, email, web site, phone# XXXXX
When they are dialled those that leave a message are tagged and emailed back to me for follow up. However when I get them back from ITC (phone dialler) all I get is the message and phone number. This can be exported back into a .csv file in excel. I would really like to know their name so I can sound more personal when returning the call.
Is there any way I can compare the two excel files and extract the complete information of the first file by comparing/sorting it with just the phone numbers of the second file?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am still hoping to get the answer explaining how this can be done.

Thanks ,

Frank
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Re your statement:

"...Putting them in a combined file and using Remove Duplicates. I'm hoping there is a FIND feature of some kind that will extract the rows that have matching phone numbers..."

I can help with that part if you can send me the combined file

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to know how to do this myself so I can do it daily after the dialler is finished. I want to then take the original .csv file with all the info --- email, name, phone # XXXXX etc --- and then somehow "compare" it with the smaller file of those that have responded and need to be called personally (40-100 people). What I need to do is extract the complete information from the original list for the respondents on the second list which only gives my their Phone # XXXXX nothing else.

Hope this makes sense! I'm hoping excel can perform this magic. Again both files are in .csv format. If not Excel, is there another way?

Thanks John
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Yes I will show how once I review the data and understand the requirement. So please go ahead and send me the Excel file that has the two sheets (i.e,. lists)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I send these attachments?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You can use the paperclip tool on your reply toolbar

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I must be brain dead or blind -- I do not see a paper clip anywhere on my screen
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

graphic

You can also go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file there (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does have personal names and phone numbers ( X 10,000) that I would not want to get out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it looks like I will have to upload the 2 files separately. Is the information secure?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

No it is not secure. You need to replace the names with dummy values

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If not would it accomplish the same thing if I sorted the name column so they do not line up with the correct numbers?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

This thread is getting very extended and we don't get compensated unless we give an answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
file 485490 --- http://wikisend.com/download/485490/justanswer - 10,000.xls

file 398294 --- http://wikisend.com/download/398294/justanswer - 30.xlsx

To clarify: there may be info in columns E to J in future lists
What I need is to extract the complete info for the 30 numbers that can be put into a .csv file
Hopefully it will be simple enough to repeat on a regular basis for new lists
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Here is the file with the extracted data

Attachment: 2012-03-03_041110_justanswer_-_10,000a.xlsx

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

For further assistance make sure to open a new ticket

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am very happy to know this can be done and am very happy to pay you for the solution. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to be able to do. All I need now is for the formula and the detailed steps so that I can do this myself each day I run my dialler. As you are aware this was not a valid list that I needed to sort; it was an old list that I jumbled up for you to see what I needed. I assume this is what you understood and that you will send me the SOLUTION to the puzzle in the format and language that I can understand and duplicate at the end of each day.

Thank you VERY much and now that I know this service is available I am sure to use it again. There are many times in the past I would have availed myself of this service and saved myself a lot of time, energy disappointment and ultimate failure.

If it is permitted, is there a way I can ask for you when I call "JustAnswer" in the future?

Frank Harford (NNN) XXX-XXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

You replied
Friday, March 02, 2012 12:05 PM EST

You replied
Friday, March 02, 2012 4:29 PM EST
I need to know how to do this myself so I can do it daily after the dialler is finished.

Your Expert needs more information
From John D
Friday, March 02, 2012 5:34 PM EST
Yes I will show how once I review the data and understand the requirement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please follow my response carefully. My question from the beginning was - "Can you show me how to perform this task in Excel. When I submitted my question I was given a range of prices that ranged according to the urgency of the response required. I have not worked since November of 2010 and so decided that if I could save some money by allowing the "expert" to work on my question between those willing to pay more for quicker service I could get it answered when John had time. Nothing was ever said about renegotiating once the answer was provided. In fact it said If I was not satisfied with the answer I did not have to pay.

Let me be clear. Up to this point I have still not been given the answer to my question and yet each response asked for payment. If John is able to provide the answer to the question "Can you show me how I can do this easily myself on a daily basis" (and it appears he does have the answer) then he has certainly earned his wage.

WAGE: what is a fair wage? Well for starters I don't presume to know what John is worth. By his experience I'd say he could command a very good hourly wage. By the number of questions he has answered it appears he is very new (or very part time) with "JustAnswer." I'd also point out that I read in my Bible that a workman is worthy of his wage and it should not be withheld.

The point is that whatever a fair wage is, it is usually discussed and agreed upon at the beginning of a job. I am a house painter (new houses). So what would you say if I agree to paint your 3000 sq.ft. house for $2.50/square foot for a total of $7500 and when I was finished you were really happy and then I told you that it took longer than I thought it would and took more paint etc that I would have to charge you $15,000? Considering you have more than doubled the price for me, I'm sure you would agree that $15,000 is a fair price, RIGHT?

As far as time spent - I have no idea how many other questions John was able to answer for others between his correspondence with me. From the very first post he sent me he asked me for the combined file assuming I knew what he wanted and how to send it to him. The second post came 4 hours later he repeats the question and I had to ask how to send. Two and a half hours later he says "Use the paperclip" to attach. Sorry John there is no paper clip!

OH! Well here use wikisend, but if material has sensitive info let me know before you send it!

Yes it is sensitive John. OK then replace names with dummy values.

Oh, OK John I'll just change 10,000 names and get right back to you.

I knew things had gone south at 8:55 when instead of answering my question he brought it around to the fact that he thought he had got himself into an unprofitable agreement. But there was the ever present... "...If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated."

So, looking at the time frame from 1:19 to 9:14 (8 hours) the time spent on his part to type a few messages was only a few minutes. John could have been very clear about what he needed and how to send them from the very beginning and saved us both a lot of frustration.

Then at 11:15 the final answer (NOT) "...so now please pay me."

So in spite of feeling squeezed beyond our agreement I will be willing to pay you more than the agreed $28 (but it will not be $65), only after I have seen the solution and am satisfied it does what I asked for. And one more small thing for all the aggravation... I really am not a computer whiz by any means, (no dummy either mind you). I can usually follow good directions. Would it be asking too much that if, next week when I try this out for the first/second time that if I run into trouble ( I screw up the directions) can I connect with someone for a couple minutes to walk me through it to get me straightened out.

I do appreciate and value your service and hope that you do not find my comments offensive or unreasonable. That has not been my intent.

Please Set a New Price

Thank you for asking your Mac question on JustAnswer! Experts have reviewed your question and believe that, for the amount of time and research required to give you a great answer, your question price is too low. You are not required to offer a higher question price, but if you do so, you are more likely to receive a faster answer. Experts have suggested you increase your question price to CA$65. You can set this new price by following the link below. Then click on the Edit link.

Edit question price>

Sincerely,
JustAnswer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is mid night and I get up early for church in the morning so I must go to bed. I will be available to respond late Sat afternoon or any time Sunday or Monday, what ever works for you. I cancelled the text alert because it is too late. I never planned to go later than 4 or 5 pm with this today. I still have to study to teach a lesson in the morning.

Frank
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok here is the test file with the macro which is run by clicking the Go! button (make sure that your Excel options is set to allow macros to run, otherwise nothing happens when you click the Go! button)

http://www.filesharesite.com/files/201203/1330804433justanswer_-_10000aTEST.xlsm.html

Try changing some phone numbers to see how it works

If the results are correct you can authorize payment so we can continue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you John. We are moving in the right direction but you give me far too much credit. Rather than ask you to explain what to do let me take a guess, to save you the time to type out the directions. I was really stumped for a while looking through the menus for a GO button. Let me know if I have this right:

If I were to take this template and save it as a BLANK Excel Document it will remain on my computer and I can use this over and over. I pull it up and paste new data in whenever needed.

Then I take my original file of 10,000 and paste it in.

Then I assume I copy the phone numbers from the respondents and paste them into a column to the right and press go.

When I delete the data each time will the GO button remain or is there something I need to do to not delete it?.

Is this macro set up for very specific parameters -- Number of rows -- number of columns -- column names or special order?

Is this Macro set for precisely 10,000 rows or could it be 100 or 1,000,000....any limitations?

Do I need to define columns A-K in the macro form or will the info just occupy the rows it requires.

Do the phone numbers from the second sheet need to go in a designated column programmed by the macro i.e.: column "L" as you have it?

Sorry if I sound like a dummy but have never (to my knowledge) used a Macro.

When I come back this evening after church if there is time I will check your response and do a practice or two. After using it I will probably have a couple more short questions/clarifications and then gladly ACCEPT your answer.

Frank
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!