webpagesby22
webpagesby22, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I have eight years of experience working with Macs and Windows machines in corporate enviroments.
61542057

My iMac froze on my last night. I had to force quit everything

Customer Question

My iMac froze on my last night. I had to force quit everything and shut it down incorrectly.
Now, when I try to start it up, I can't get through the opening screen since my mouse won't select anything. The cursor moves...but it won't select. I try to start up with discs...but still the same problem.

How do I get back in business here. And in the future...how do I shut down the iMac without the mouse. Thanks.

Paul
Category: Mac
Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 5 years ago.

Give these steps a try

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

You can shut down the computer down by pressing the power button on the computer and pressing enter.