Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software

How can I put an application icon on the screen?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

which application icon do you need to put on the iPhone 4 screen?

Customer:

C

Steve Herrod :

sorry, could you give more details?

Customer:

I want to put the "Contacts"
icon on my phone screen.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

Are you there?

Steve Herrod :

yes, the Contacts icon should be a default icon on the home screen unless it's running an older version of the software

Steve Herrod :

can you go to Settings-->About and check what software version is listeD?

Customer:

The icon does not appear, how can I force it to be?

Steve Herrod :

can you check the software version of iOS that is installed on the phone?

Steve Herrod :

depending on which version it is there are a couple of ways of adding it

Customer:

I have gone to settings, cannot find "about"

Steve Herrod :

ok - is there General

Steve Herrod :

and then about?

Customer:

I found "about". My software is ios 5.0.1

Steve Herrod :

ok - thanks

Steve Herrod :

on the home screen do you see a Productivity folder at all?

Steve Herrod :

or a Utilities folder?

Customer:

negative

Customer:

Steve,

Customer:

I have found the utilities folder

Steve Herrod :

ok - if you look in Utilities is Contacts there?

Customer:

Yes, it is

Steve Herrod :

ok - great

Steve Herrod :

now hold down on Contacts until it starts to wiggle

Steve Herrod :

and then drag it out of the Utilities folder to the home screen

Customer:

It's wiggling

Steve Herrod :

ok - use your finger to move it out of the folder to the home screen

Steve Herrod :

and once its out just press the home button and things will stop wiggling

Customer:

Which one is the home button?

Steve Herrod :

the main button on the iPhone, at the bottom of the screen

Customer:

Steve,

Customer:

I pushed the button on the iPhone bottom. The display has stopped wiggling.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

so did Contacts make its way onto the home screen ok?

Customer:

Yes it did

Steve Herrod :

ok great

Steve Herrod :

glad it's working

Steve Herrod :

most likely when the iOS 5 updates applied they categorised things to try and be helpful

Steve Herrod :

hence why it ended up in Utilities...

Customer:

I think we're there where we want to be.

Steve Herrod :

great

Steve Herrod :

if you're happy then please Accept this answer :)

Customer:

Can you guide me to putting a photo in background?

Steve Herrod :

sure

Steve Herrod :

do you have the photo on the iphone already?

Customer:

Steve,

Steve Herrod :

yep?

Customer:

My photos, except for 1, must have been erased when I did my last synch. I think we are finished for tonight unless you can guide me from my MAC 2 computer to the iPhone with the desired photo

Steve Herrod :

do you get your e-mail on the iphone?

Customer:

My Email is on the phone.

Steve Herrod :

ok, from your computer can you mail the photo to yourself so it will arrive on the iPhone?

Customer:

I'll try.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

if that isn't working then the picture would need to be synced to iTunes and then the phone synced as well

Customer:

Sorry for the delay. I chose the photo from iPhoto and transmitted it to my iPhone.

Steve Herrod :

ok great

Steve Herrod :

so if you go to the photo on the iphone

Customer:

I'm there

Steve Herrod :

tap the picture and at the bottom left you should see an icon of an arrow trying to escape from a rectangle

Steve Herrod :

tap that and you should have a use as wallpaper option

Customer:

I tapped her photo but I do not see a wallpaper option. Leave it to me and I have chosen a 13 MB photo.

Steve Herrod :

ok, the size shouldn't be an issue

Steve Herrod :

do you see a little icon at bottom left of screen once you have tapped the photo?

Customer:

I do not see a little icon at bottom left of screen

Steve Herrod :

ok - when you tap the photo does anything happen at bottom of screen at all?

Customer:

In the course of my pushing buttons, the option for use as wallpaper showed up. I chose it. So far the photo has not shown up as wallpaper.

Steve Herrod :

ok, that is strange

Steve Herrod :

did you say there was another photo on the phone? if so, could you try to set that as wallpaper just to see if it works

Customer:

The wallpaper option showed up again, I chose it again. Steve, I'll play around with it. You've shown me the way. I'll get there. We can finish now.

Steve Herrod :

ok - no problem

Steve Herrod :

let me know if you need anything

Customer:

How do I complete with you at this time?

Steve Herrod :

if you click on Accept, that would be great

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Steve Herrod :

you are welcome

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software