James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

My son got his ipod stolen at school today. Is there anyway

My son got his ipod stolen at school today. Is there anyway we can track it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Did you enable "Find my iPhone" on the the iPod?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He says he doesn't think so
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I understand.

I would still recommend you go to www.icloud.com
Sign in with HIS apple ID, and click find my iphone.

Other than that, there is no option to find the iphone, so I do hope it is enabled.
I know this is not what you want to hear and am very sorry to give you this piece of bad bad news, but it would be unprofessional of me to do otherwise. I hope you understand and that you are not going to shoot the messenger...

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what if another person tries to register it, is there anyway it can be flagged as stolen?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately not. It is a great suggestion and there is a lot of consumer pressure on Apple to implement such features for stolen devices, but Apple did not implement those yet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It definately needs to be considered, just like deactivating a cell phone that gets stolen. These products are too expensive for there to be a customer protection issue like this.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I completely agree with you.
Apple does provide the Find my Iphone feature, which no other company has. Once this feature is active, the iPod can be located from any computer, or any other iPod.

Please don't forget to hit the Accept button for me so I can get credit for my time helping you.

Thanks!

J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We went to icloud.com and he signed in and it said he had to set-up his device on icloud.com before he could use that app! Is that correct?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that's right... you have to register the iPod (from the iPod itself) for this service, so you can use it later.
It cannot be done now that the ipod is gone. I'm very sorry.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert