Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi Mike, Im the person you helped - w the new 8GB of memory

Hi Mike,
I'm the person you helped - w the new 8GB of memory from Crucial. I wish I had NEVER installed it! Computer has become a real PIA. Is Apple brand RAM memory any better quality than the two chips i got from Crucial?
Thanks,
Holly
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
RAM normally has no affect on your computer other than to make it faster and able to run more programs, what is it doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
  • Firefox randomly quits- last night- it was unable to re-start the several tabs I had open
  • Computer screen actually gets shaded and says computer must be restarted. It certainly doesn't re-start particularly fast when i do it.
  • My Entourage email which I started when I got this laptop is completely gone in cyberspace. It contained many folders of emails I wanted to save.
  • Computer never did these things when it only had the factory installed 2 GB of memory
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You are running Lion right?

First I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

then restart and hold the Option key until you see your boot drives, then choose the Recovery HD, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm not running Lion. I considered buying and installing it since I now have all this memory. But--- with all the trouble I'm now having, i didn't want to add another new thing to the mix. My OS works fine, I decided. I talked w an Apple one on one person on the phone- she sent me an Apple link w info about Lion. That kept freezing and quitting! Not a very good advertisment for the product.

Another problem since installing new memory, my Microsoft Office Suite says it has data problems. I rebuilt it once. Still says that.

I have:
  • Version: 10.6.8
  • Processor: 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDr3

I'll now do the Verify disc and Repair Permissions.

Thanks,

Holly

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know what version of Office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
office version: 11.6.0 It's very old: fm 2004

Also- I'm having a problem: w the repair permissions. Not getting very far:
when I click on Restart , I hold down Option Key. In middle of screen comes icon of Hard Drive w an up arrow below it.
  • If I click on the hard drive icon, nothing happens.
  • If I click on the up arrow, it just continues to restart, screen for my password XXXXX up and computer restarts.

I'll keep trying.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Right sorry I thought you were running Lion. Office 2004 is VERY OLD I suggest you upgrade to Office 2011. You can get a free 30 day trial here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

but first:

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hv started this reply 3x- computer has randomly shut down and required restart 3x- all since a loooong Verify Disc and loooong Repair Permissions.
Screen said all was OK. Hope this isn't its idea of OK. I'm ready to throw it out the window.
I hv app't tomo at Apple Store- will make Genius Bar app't I guess, tho they will give me hard time about helping b/c it's not Apple Memory.
don't know what else to do. Do you?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
If So I suggest you reinstall your system:

Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install . Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Verify disc ws OK - in green type.
Ok- I'll try the whole reinstall thing.
I hv 2 discs
  • OS X and
  • Applications

Last question:

Do I have to reinstall the applications too?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No just the system they should be fine but like I said you can’t expect very old apps to work on a modern system, you have to upgrade those too. Let me know
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apps disc came w compputer-- 2009. Office I'm not too worried about- I bought iLife so I have Keynote, Pages, Numbers and lame Mail program came w computer.

Acutally, I think the problem is with Firefox, not the OS. All my Apple software updates ae current.

Before I reinstall OS X, is there a way to 'clean up' firefox first?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes trash it and download the latest version. Just drag to trash we may need to do other things but try that first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'll try that.

I'll be back
Thanks,
Holly
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
K
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alrighty, I now have Firefox 10.0.2, the most current one.

Let's hope for the best that problems are solved for now and quit for tonight.

thank you for all your help.

I'll give you great review and bonus - whole night of problem solving. PIA for you!

Thanks,
Holly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you send Accept button again, please?

Ironically, JA seemed to freeze on processing my positive comment and tip.

I don't think it went through
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you.
Mike, Mac Medic