John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I recently installed IOS Lion app on my laptop. Then started

I recently installed IOS Lion app on my laptop. Then started to upgrade mail system. It got about 1/4 done and doesn't seem to be progressing at all. It has been on at least an hour; probably longer. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Normally, it should not take anywhere near this long. Did you have a particularly large amount of stored emails?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not really. It says it is upgrading mail database. I think it is frozen because neither "quit" or "continue" cues respond and can't shut down. Says "application Mail canceled shut down.".
Click the Apple logo in the menubar, select Force Quit...

Choose Mail from the list and click the Force Quit button.

Restart your Mac and then attempt opening Mail again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed instructions successfully and shut down. Now it won't restRt. Get screen with options of sleep, restart or shut down. Last one works but if use restart button or try to restart after shut down Judy goes back to three choice screen.
To clarify;

Was the Mac successfully powered off?

Then, you turned it back on and what does it do exactly? Do you see the Apple logo on the grey screen and then it goes to the screen listing sleep, restart or shut down? Does this screen list users?

If it isn't shutting down completely and you aren't seeing the Apple logo on restart then something else is amiss.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now works. Had to click on my picture then enter my password. Go figure. Thanks for your help