John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

i just downloaded itunes to a new computer. How do i get my

i just downloaded itunes to a new computer. How do i get my music/app/icloud from my old computer to show up on this computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Are you wanting to retrieve purchases from the iTunes Store or share music across the network from the old computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I simply want my itunes from my old computer to be on my new computer. My old computer is going to be trashed.
Thanks.

If you have trouble with the following, do not click "Accept" yet - just reply back for further troubleshooting.

open iTunes

Click the "Store" option in the menubar and choose "Authorize this Computer..." and supply the Apple ID and password XXXXX used to purchase/download the lost music and apps.

Next, select the iTunes Store from the sidebar at the left. Sign in with the same Apple ID and Password, if you are not already.

In the iTunes Store, you should see a Quick Links sidebar at the right side of the page. Look for the "Purchased" option and click it.

On the Purchased page, you will see a toggle near the top-right of the page labeled as "All | Not In My Library". Select "Not In My Library".

Under Music, select "All Songs" from the listing at the left and then click "Download All" in the bottom right.

Repeat the above for "TV Shows", "Apps", and "Books"; making the appropriate choices as applicable.

When you are finished, everything should now be on the new computer.

If you would like to sync this computer with iCloud for personal data, you will need to download the iCloud Control Panel for Windows:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455

Once installed, go to Control Panel > iCloud and sign in with your Apple ID and password XXXXX used on the iPhone.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects, loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that. my purchaces are now dowloading but what about my hundreds & hundreds of other songs that I have been "collecting" over a decade? how do I get those on here?
These are songs you ripped yourself?

In that case you would need to copy them over from the old computer to the new one. Is it still accessible?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I no longer have the CD's its all on my itunes. I may have access. I just dont know if it will work. ... Why isnt it fully transferable? its ripped to there interface isnt it. lol I said inteface (I have NO idea if that the right lingo lol)

No, when you rip your own music it is stored on your local hard drive only.

On the old computer, you should find an iTunes folder inside the "Music" folder of your user account. You'll need to copy this iTunes folder onto a flash drive or other external drive and then copy it onto the new computer in the same place (or tell iTunes to Import the music from the flash drive and save you a bit of effort on the new computer).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

& here I thought this was going to be as simple as installing itunes again lol Thank you so much for your help. 1 more question. does this mean all of my playlists are gone?

Sadly, it's not as simple as I wish it was, either.

If you copy the entire iTunes folder over to the new computer then all your playlists should return in that case, as long as it is properly copied back into the Music folder. You should make sure iTunes is NOT running when you do that.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry