Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I cant get my Mac G4 powerPC with OSx 10.5.4 to connect to

I can't get my Mac G4 powerPC with OSx 10.5.4 to connect to my home WIFI system with the airport card.
The card is turned on and it shows the home WIFI network but after asking for the password (I know i'm using the correct pwd) it says: Connection failed.
I know the wifi is working as my windows laptop can connect without problems.
The airport card even picks up a distant WIFI
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Step away from the shotgun.

There are a few things that will at least help if not cure this and a few that will cure this, all will help.

First, do a pram reset.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes. This is the sound it makes starting up.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

This may or may not fix the connection issue, it is a good starting point.
Next is repairing permissions, this PDF explains that.

Repairing Permissions

Then following that if it still isn't connecting make a new location, this PDF explains how.

New Location 10.5-10.6

I am pretty sure that will fix it but on the off chance it doesn't please tell me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I couldn't get the 4 key combination to work but i pressed the reset button by the CMOS battery. Isn't that the same thing?
Also the permissions PDF file comes up with a damged and file and won't load - maybe becasue I'm using a windows computer to look at it?
Also in the FWIW category. The computer will get on the internet using an eternet cable.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, that is most definitely not the same thing.
The four keys will work if, you are using a USB cabled keyboard and you used only those keys and you gave it time.
You have reset the PMU (Power Management Uint), that resets the logic board and is something not done lightly.
Try this permissions PDF.
Repairing Permissions This one will download to wherever your downloads go on the WIndows machine.

Try those.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's been repairing permissions for about 20 minutes, is this normal?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Yes, with Leopard it takes a long time, it will finish.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I reset the pram
repaired permissions
I am a little confused on the next part. I added a location. When I click on advanced i get a window:
AirPort TCP/IP DNS WINS Appletalk 802.1x Proxies Ethernet
in the box: Preferred Networks:
There is nothing
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You probably do not have any since resetting the PMU, it will erase things like that.

Once you have applied the new network settings you can go to the Airport icon in the menu bar and select your network, make sure the airport is.

Try that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still no joy. It acts like it doesn't like the password XXXXX I know the password XXXXX XXXXX as it works on my other computers. I'm not sure I accomplished very much with the network box other than making a new location.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
It can always be deleted.
I do know that if you do have 10.5.4 you should update to 10.5.8, this can go a good ways to resolving this, I was trying to get the airport working first but I think the other way will do better.

It specifically states improved compatibility and reliability with networks.

Do that and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing is any better. I downloaded the 780 meg update. loaded it rebooted, and no difference
when I use the assitant is keeps saying the password XXXXX XXXXX Does the mac want only an eight digit password? The password XXXXX XXXXX digits
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I set up a guest network with no password XXXXX I got right on. interesting. I can't leave it up though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
He's on the east coast I'm on the west coast
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Now we know that it is in your account that the problem is.
This can be a hard issue to fix because of that. While connected via ethernet I suggest repairing permissions and doing the combo update, this will go a long way to fixing this.

So far it seems that you have done all but what I asked you to do so I am opting out and will let another expert try.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks anyway. I tried every combination of password.