Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
35684427

I was downloading some podcasts onto my ipod and itunes froze.

I was downloading some podcasts onto my ipod and itunes froze. Stupidly I disconnected the ipod and it now shows that it has no songs, etc on it, yet the storage space is still just as full as it was before. Is the media still on it somewhere and can be restored, as the filled storage space shows, or do I have to reformat it and lose everything? Thanks for your time!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Steve :

Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. I'm willing to keep working until you are satisfied.

You shouldn't actually lose everything as iTunes has it and will transfer it back onto the iPod.

Steve :

Restoring it is certainly the safest way to go. Let me know how it goes.

Customer:

itunes still has everything on the computer, just the ipod was affected. We had a lot on the ipod that is NOT in itunes or even on the computer because we had to conserve space. So there is no way to restore anything that is still ON the ipod? Why does the memory card still show that it has all it's content?

Steve :

I'll do some research but I do not think there is any reasonable way to recover the files from the iPod...

Steve :

When you say "memory card" what are you referring to?

Steve :

If you google this phrase "copy files from ipod without itunes" you will see there are services and hacks that might allow you get content off the corrupted iPod but I can not vouch for how well (if at all!) any of them work.

Steve :

The only other idea requires expertise using the command line terminal. Depending upon the iPod, how badly it is corrupted, you may be able to access the file structure and manually copy files blindly (you won't really know what is what) from the pod to the computer. Then copy them blindly back into iTunes. I did this once and the result was an iPod full of songs with no names, playlists or any other identifying info.

Customer:

By memory card I meant the SETTINGS display under the main menu shows a bar of storage space as long as the ipod's memory allows. I do not mean anything detachable.

Customer:

we have too much stuff to do blindly...its an 80 gb

Steve :

That's what I thought. It means the files are there but the directory structure that makes them available is corrupt.

Steve :

For what it is worth, disconnecting the iPod may not have caused the problem...the problem (corruption on the iPod) may have caused iTunes to freeze.

Customer:

lol that does make me feel better thanks! its a refurbished ipod, had it 4 years

Customer:

k ill try some downloads soon, gtg back to work. I assume this window will stay open the whole time

Customer:

u ever heard of mediawidget?

Customer:

what causes the corruption?

Steve :

I saw it listed as a choice in my search but I don't have any info on it.I think the best recommendation is to restore it then and lose the other data, sorry.

Customer:

k thanks!

Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience: Support and training for Mac users since 1991.