Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My wireless MAC will not connect to the internet

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

You have a Mac and that is a smart move.
When you click the Airport icon in the menu bar is your network listed?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Yours of course will not be Belkin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel - I lost you there for awhile. My PC wouldn't connect with you. Sorry for delay.

Anyway, I do not/cannot find this menu bar with this listed. I am really poor at working with my MAC. I had gone to the Apple pull down and pulled up system preferences to find the AirPort info.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Please just give me the answer as to how I can get on the internet using my MAC which has wireless capability. I'm an amateur! Do I use AirPort? If so, how do I reconnect? I have been able to use wireless access for almost 2 years and now it is not working.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I was away from my desk for a while.
That icon is on the right side of the menu bar, like this.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

What I showed you before was only the right end of it.
You should see one of these.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Or,

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Which shows it on but not connected, this is what it looks like connected.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This is one way to turn it on and off.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

That icon will show available networks to choose from, yours should be listed, if not wait because it will refresh.
Click on yours and enter the password if requested, if it usually connects then it probably will again.
If you are using the Lion OS X it is known to drop connections, a known issue.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This does not answer my question of how to get access to the internet. Please help! I don't even know if I should use the AirPort connection - or how to get access to the internet.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I have told you what and how to at least give me what I need to continue, you have to do your part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Daniel - I couldn't find the icon but now I have and it indicates that I am connected to the internet and I have also verified that my network was checked correctly BUT I still cannot get access to the internet. What am I doing wrong.

Yours in Christ

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just pulled up airport utility and it said "unable to find wireless device.". My computer is sitting right next to the router so it is on range.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Do you have an Apple router? If not then that utility will not work.
What do you see when you click on the Airport icon in the menu bar?