Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a macbook pro that used to connect to my Airport. My

Customer Question

I have a macbook pro that used to connect to my Airport. My iMac and iPad connect fine. But the macbook pro has the ! in the Airport box in the upper right portion of the screen. I have tried many things (e.g., resetting Airport, rebooting macbook pro, re-installing Airport in the Network system preferences), but to no avail. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I do not know which version of OS X you have but this will work in all version, some windows may look a little different is all.

New Location 10.5-10.6

You might also want to turn the Airport off and on from the Airport dropdown menu.

Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I created a new location, but the macbook pro doesn't connect to the Airport. It says there is no IP address, and therefore can not connect.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Look in System Preferences/Network.
Click on Assist me, select Diagnostics and see what it tells you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. First, I select the Location (which is new after previous steps, not automatic).
2. Then, I select the wireless network.
3. Then I select DHCP (instead of PPPoE)
4. It asks me if I used DSL or cable modem - I click yes, as I have a Brighthouse Cable Modem
5. It asks me to restart the device - I have done that in the past by pushing the reset button. Should I turn it completely off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am eager to get this resolved, and I have time now to work on this. Is there anyone else who is available?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you reset the Airport Base station you have to set it up again with the Airport Utilitiy .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I set it up again, as I use it for my iMac and iPad.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok on the MacBook:

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Version 10.6.8
2. Processor = 2.66 intel core 2 duo
3. Memory = 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3
4. Verify disk OK & Repair disk permissions both done
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok try creating a new location again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No luck - exclamation point returned. BTW, I tested it on another wireless network (not an Airport, though), and it connected fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to Macintosh HD / Library / Preferences drag SystemConfiguration folder to the trash, restart and set up your network again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No luck...
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In that case I would say the MacBook Pro needs repair, sorry.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmm - even if it connects with other wireless networks (not Airport)?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok point taken, guess I missed that, but I am out of ideas. I'll opt out. good luck.
Expert:  i-cubed replied 2 years ago.
Hello - this is Dennis. Have you tried to manually set the IP address? I'm assuming the MBPro is trying to use DHCP for addressing? Take a look at the assigned IP addresses of the iMac and the iPad to see the numbering scheme.
Expert:  i-cubed replied 2 years ago.
Here's a HOW-To if you've never done it before - http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_staticip.html