MrComputer2010
MrComputer2010, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Help and Support with all Apple products.
46048466

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

Hello! My Mac Pro laptop - dual core, Intell. -, about four years old now, decided first not to recognize the trackpad "clickers" first and now won't respond to touch either. Next just now my keyboard stopped responding to typing. This has been a progression over three days. I have been using a plug in mouse, which was keeping it going, but now that the keyboard won't let me type, I can't do anything. I am sending you this message on my smaller Mac Pro, which is still behaving and is older by far! Thanks for any light you can shed on these problems. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  MrComputer2010 replied 4 years ago.

MrComputer2010 :

Linda the problem you are having is most likely related to the ribbon cable that is just under that battery and most likely it will need to be replaced. The problem is that the battery heats up and it weakens the cable over time.

MrComputer2010 :

you can try this fix.. but I can not guarantee it will work for you.

MrComputer2010 :
  • Get a small piece of sticky tape and roll it up

• With the power on, battery out and machine on:

• Place the Sticky tape onto the ribbon cable whilst pressing the caps lock key to identify that the keyboard is working

• Close the screen and turn over your mack book.

• Replace the battery so that it presses on the sticky tape and ribbon cable
  • MrComputer2010 :

There are two cables.. The darker orange / brown cable is the culprit.

JACUSTOMER-5vh3xifg- :

I found that solution on U Tube regarding the trackpad, but when the keyboard stopped responding too, is this solution going to address both or am I looking at two separate problems? Thanks, Linda

MrComputer2010 :

It will address both issues.

JACUSTOMER-5vh3xifg- :

Thank you very much. Let me try your directions. It's very late at night here, so I can't try it until the morning lest I wake up the household! I will write back to you afterward. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX works! Sincerely, Linda

MrComputer2010 :

Ok if it doesnt work then you will need to get the cable replaced ok.

MrComputer2010 :

Linda have a good night.

JACUSTOMER-5vh3xifg- :

That's good to know too! I'll have an alternative if this doesn't work. Talk to you soon!

MrComputer2010 :

ok

JACUSTOMER-5vh3xifg- :

Hello! Checking in. I followed your instructions and got the keyboard back working, but the trackpad is still not working. Perhaps you're right and I'll have to get a new cable. I did note that my battery is bulging on one side so I had a hard time getting it back in flat. I finally had to use tape to tape it down as flat as possible. I can't imagine how it happened because I keep my computer top and bottom inside hard shell protectors and always have. Maybe that means I will have to buy a new battery and a new cable to get my trackpad working? Please advise me on charges, since the solution was only one half the problem. I noticed that before the charge was $38. and now it's $58. Quite a jump up if one still has to pay and still take it in to be repaired. Please advise. Thanks so much, Linda

MrComputer2010 :

The solution is to replace the cable and the tape solution is a workaround. The price for the question has not changed on my end. You can resolve billing related questions by contacting support@justanswer.com

MrComputer2010 :

Please be sure to click Accept

MrComputer2010 :

ok I just wanted to follow up with you because I do want you to be satisifed. I see that you had a problem with the price of the question not showing the correct ammount.