John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I was getting tired of having to find a folder on my desktop,

I was getting tired of having to find a folder on my desktop, so I put an . in front of the file name, and now I can't find it anywhere. Do you know where it could be?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Putting a . in front of a file/folder name essentially tells OS X you want to hide that item.

We can track it down, though, but first I need to know what version of OS X you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank Goodness!! It's 10.6.8
Great!

Close any current Finder windows you have open.

Now hit the keys COMMAND, and F on your keyboard at the same time

A new Finder window should open

Type the name of the folder in the search box

You should see a Search: bar. Switch that from "This Mac" to "Desktop"

Below that you should see another row listing "Kind" with a "+" button all the way to the right side.

Click the "+" button and a new row will appear

Click on "Last Opened date", select "Other" from the menu and in the new box that opens pick "File visibility" and click OK.

Now next to "File Visibility" on the same row, click "visible items" and choose "visible or invisible"

You should see your hidden folder in the list below.

You should now be able to rename it, removing the . from the name.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects, loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
John,
When I Push Command F the finder box comes up, but it doesn't give me those options. It just says next, previous, highlight all, match case . . .
Are you actually in Finder when you do that? That sounds like the Search option for Firefox or another app.

Make sure you are in the Finder by clicking on the desktop at least once and it should say "Finder" in the menubar at the top of the screen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are BRILLIANT!! I can now find it when I go to the finder Desktop, but when I go to the actual Desktop the folder is not there . . .
If you sucessfully renamed it and removed the . then you may have to restart the Mac for it to appear but it *should* show up again on the normal desktop.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't thank you enough! If I had any extra money -- YOU would get it! I really owe you! Thanks again, and again, and again . . .
You're welcome! Just be careful where you stick that . in the future.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do!!
Have a good night!

Please feel free to ask me a new question at any time (if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment). Bookmark my profile page for easy access:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/