Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My word program has shut down. Relaunch did not work.

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintossh HD
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Dkid you run the Disk Utility ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed your instructions and they didn't work.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean? So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed your instructions to the letter. All responses were in red - no green
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If Verify Disk was red you are in trouble did you try to Repair DIsk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I tried repair disk.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Can you please give me more info what happened?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing happened.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
There was no message at all it just sat there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not know wwhat you are talking about. I followed your instructions. We can go through it again. But this has been very time consuming and no help.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have it anymore. I would have put it in if I had it.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Not sure why you would do that if "nothing" happened when you tried to Verify Disk... did it tell you to do that? You can try this:

Go to link below and download AppleJack open and install, then restart and hold Command and S keys. When you get to the command prompt type

applejack auto restart

then hit Return.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15667/applejack
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Still need help?