Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I have an ipad and an iphone which have one apple id and an

Customer Question

I have an ipad and an iphone which have one apple id and an itunes account that has a different one. When I buy apps on my id it gets me to enter the login to my itunes account but I cannot get icloud to work with my phone so I can share the apps - how do I fix this
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXXXX XXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Customer :

hi

BeBoo :

Sounds like you just want to change your Apple ID on both devices to your Apple ID (iCloud ID).

Customer :

The apple id on my iphone and ipad are the same - problem is my itunes account is not the same

BeBoo :

You cannot merge accounts, if that is what you are trying to do.

Customer :

how do I use my itunes account with icloud on my ipad and iphone?

Customer :

Is there a way to change my account login and name on my ipad and iphone so they are the same as my itunes account?

BeBoo :

iCloud and sharing apps are two different things - it has nothing to do with iCloud at all. You can have a separate store account from your iCloud account.

BeBoo :

Sure.

Customer :

how?

Customer :

What I want to do is share the apps I have purchased on my ipad with my iphone

BeBoo :

On each device, open the Settings app, then choose Store. Tap the button with the Apple ID and choose Sign Out. Tap Sign In and use your iTunes account. (use existing).

BeBoo :

This will not affect the iCloud account on the devices.

Customer :

Will this permit me to share the apps I purchased on my ipad with my iphone?

Customer :

?

BeBoo :

Yes

BeBoo :

Once you are signed in on both, just turn the "Apps" setting on.

BeBoo :

To download previous apps, just open the App Store and go to Purchased on the iPad or go to Updates, then Purchased on the iPhone

BeBoo :

Has this worked for you?

Customer :

says secure connection could not be found check date and time setting for my iphone - works fine on my ipad thanks

BeBoo :

Ok, on the iPhone, open Settings app, then General, Date & Time. Make sure Set Automatically is set to On and the Time Zone is set correctly.

Customer :

ok did that it shows music i purchased but not apps

BeBoo :

Sounds like you are in the iTunes app, not the App Store app

Customer :

yep I was but am now in app store and says I dont have any apps available for download...

BeBoo :

And you purchased apps under that ID?

BeBoo :

Do you have your iTunes handy?

Customer :

how do i know what id I am logged in as in app store and yes itunes is handy

BeBoo :

If you tap Featured at the bottom and scroll all the way down to the bottom, I believe it shows the Apple ID

BeBoo :

(i don't have my iPhone with me at the moment, sorry)

BeBoo :

On iTunes, select an app and use Command + i (Mac) or Control + i (PC)

BeBoo :

See what Account is listed on the right side

Customer :

in itunes i dont see any of my apps just my music

BeBoo :

On the left, choose Apps

Customer :

I dont see apps are you talking under library heading?

BeBoo :

Correct. Guess you don't have any downloaded to your iTunes.

BeBoo :

Ok, try clicking the Store item on the left, then click Purchased on the right. Change to Apps, do you see anything listed?

Customer :

nothing there so what happened to the apps I purchased?

BeBoo :

Sounds like you purchased the apps under the other account or another account all together

BeBoo :

Click your ID in the upper right and log in with the other account, go back to purchased and see what is there.

Customer :

nothing there either

BeBoo :

Do you have any other accounts>

Customer :

nope I dont..

Customer :

when i go to buy a new app on my ipad it asks for the password XXX the password XXX the apple id that is the same as my itunes

BeBoo :

I'm not sure what to tell you. Your purchased apps show up where I pointed out for any account you have. If nothing shows up under either account and you have apps currently, they were purchased under a different account.

BeBoo :

One thing you can try is to sync your iPhone or iPad to the computer and see if the Apps sync over. If they do, you'll see an App section on the left in iTunes

Customer :

they definately were not purchased under a different account I have an email from the last charge against my account same id as my itunes

BeBoo :

Then they would be listed under "Purchased" in the iTunes store.

BeBoo :

There is no reason why they wouldn't/

Customer :

rebooted my phone now I see them

BeBoo :

Interesting, you shouldn't have had to do that.

Customer :

works fine now

BeBoo :

Great to hear.

BeBoo :

So they are working now?

Customer :

yes

BeBoo :

Great. Anything else I can help with?

Customer :

nope thank you

BeBoo :

Great. If I have been helpful, please choose Accept so that I can be compensated for my time.