Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Problem using Roxio Toast - Mac Video TS segments are not

Customer Question

Problem using Roxio Toast - Mac

Video TS segments are not in correct sequence when compiling TS files. Toast arbitrarily assigns some segments as “main” and other segments as “extra” when in fact all the these segments were recorded in the same manner from a DVR. Essentially there is no way to designate “main” or “extra”, but Toast is finding a method to do it without any direction.

Using MacOS v10.6.8 and Toast v11. An example how I use Toast is that we capture sports action of a family member during live broadcast from the TV DVR. The DVD burned from the DVR is then converted to video TS files using MacTheRipper. Segments from several games are then burned (TS compilation via Toast) onto one DVD to send to another family member who does not have reception of these games while in a remote location.

There can be as many as 20 clips on the original disc from the DVR. Toast used to dutifully take each group of TS files from the DVD created by the DVR and burn all segments with each folder in the same order they were recorded.

I have created and burned many DVDs without problems using Toast in this manner. However, recently, for some reason these segments to not “arrive” in Toast in the proper sequence as confirmed when selecting >optionscustom< when using either TS or TS compilation. Sometimes the “extras” showing up at the end of the sequences are actually the first segment of what was recorded by the DVR.

This problem does not seem to be a result of downloading a recent upgrade as this problem was occurring before update. In fact I am having this same problem using an older version of Toast on another Mac.

Perhaps a preference has somehow been changed in error?? In the Toast turtorial video it describes being able to manually arrange these segments, but I am unable to find that feature when using TS folders. I have only used the TS feature of Toast and have not experimented using the DVD feature.

FYI: There is no problem duplicating the original disc from the DVR using Toast “disc copy”.

Thanks for your advice.
-Hal Cunningham
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Just name the files with a 1 for the first 2 for the second , etc...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I probably didn't explain the video problem well enough.

The original file was recorded in one session with several segments all of which becomes a TS folder via MacTheRipper. (I don't know any other method to covert to TS so that Toast can compile several of these folder with their segments). Numbering the folders to assign a sequence doesn't help with the segments in that TS file that TOAST arbitrarily assigns "main or extra".

When brining that TS folder into the TOAST window (Video >TS folder), that's when Toast "creates" the mains and extras which doesn't make sense considering the fact it should just show a listing of "main" movies, one for each segment. I realize that burning a unencrypted movie with bonus features those bonuses show up as extras when veiwing the option mode and these can be previewed and then unchecked if not desired in the final version burned by Toast. A valuable feature.

Perhaps there is another software product that will do this better than Toast. I've considered looking into Smith Micro and Aimersoft, but it seems that TOAST has been the favorite so far.

I've used the technique you've described to number audio files when burning an MP3 playlist. As a MacUser you've probably discovered that when iTunes burns a playlist to CD the names of the songs are converted to track 1,2, etc., however Toast will keep the song title but only burns the CD in alphaetical/numerical order.

Here's a couple of JPC screenshots of my problem that may be helpful. Let me know if they don't download OK. Thanks (pictures were inserted in reverse order...)

graphicgraphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
TS files are for Blu-ray are you burning a Blu-ray disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually I've never burned a Blu-ray, but I have certainly burned burned many DVDs from TS folders in the manner described in my question. After reading your comment I've watched the Roxio tutorials again, and fairly sure TS burning and Blue-ray are totally separate processes. (see screenshot below) I'm thinking there must be a preference that is being overlooked as this is a new problem for me after burning many discs with all segments remaining in order. The fact that Toast insists on labeling some of the segments either "main or extra" doesn't make sense.

I just performed a Mac software update and perhaps something in Toast has now reverted to a previous setting that I'm unaware of. So maybe it's not a Mac problem but a Roxio Toast anomoly that happens in the Windows enviornment too, but you'd think there would be something about this issue in the Toast help menu etc. for troubleshooting. Do you think there may be additional information out there from those who use this application in other platforms...? Thanks

graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
you should save as MPEG 2 the native format for DVD.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After burning 100s of DVDs from TS files with all segments in proper order it is baffling why the TS files should now be converted to something else (MPEG-2). I accessed the "convert" function for Roxio Toast and dragged a video TS file into the window. The result is the screenshot below. (There was no option to convert to MPEG-2, the closest was MPEG-4 player).

Will convert this TS folder to the MPEG-4 player format and attempt to playback on a DVR and see if the segments are in order. It will be interesting to see the result. But the question remains why the sudden change from TS folders having always been touted as the best method to manage video and the preferred format for movies, etc.??

Regarding the screenshot below, the segment titled #1 Extra is actually the opening segment and should be at the top of the list. The segment at the top of the list is actually the third segment of those recoreded in sequence by the DVR. When Toast burns this to disc the order of segments is as displayed in the screenshot - arbitraily out of order. Supposedly there is a method to "slide" these around in the preferred order but I can't find that option.

I'm thinking this problem is a result of the Mac upgrade installed recently which is now incompatible with Roxio Toast 11.

graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Toast 11.04?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About Toast says it's 11.02
Didn't know there was an update to that but will install immediately.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Installing the software update for TOAST did not affect the problem. The proces of burning TS files in this application has worked flawlessly until updating the MacOS, therefore sorry to say, this seems be an issue with TOAST vs the updated MacOS.

By the way, after performing the Roxio Toast update, as with the previous version, there is sitll no problem making a direct disc copy of the original recording from the DVR. The multiple segments remain in correct order as orginally recorded. However, the same problem persists when that disc is converted to TS files and then attempting to burn a single TS file, or compile multiple TS folders.

Before giving up on solving this specific problem, is there a JustAnswer forum regarding this software?? Perpaps is it worth checking with others who use Toast extensively. This popularity of compiling TS video files is a very popular, so I can't imagine someone else hasn't encountered this problem. Thanks for any additional input.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I'll opt out I don't understand why you would want to work with HD TS files when you are only burnng SD DVDs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The DVR files are only 480p, not HD. I think it's a matter of waiting for Roxio to make this Toast version compatible with OSX. I was hoping there would be Roxio experts the JustAnswer database. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
ok good luck