John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

How do I sync my new iphone with data from my old

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question. Here are the steps on transferring data from your old iPhone to your new one. Please let me know if you have any questions.

To transfer information from your current iPhone to a new iPhone, follow these steps:

1) Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and iOS. Download the latest version of iTunes and remember to install it after you download it.

2) Connect your current iPhone to iTunes and sync it. Verify that your original iPhone is backed up. For more information on how to do this, see iPhone: About backups.

3) Connect your new iPhone to iTunes (on the same computer you used to back up your current iPhone).

4) iTunes will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or set up your new iPhone as a new phone. When prompted, select the backup of your current iPhone. If iTunes does not prompt you to select a backup to restore when you connect your new iPhone, use iTunes to restore iOS on your new iPhone and try this step again.

Note: During the process of restoring your old backup to a new iPhone, you may see the iTunes progress bar pause. If this occurs, please allow for additional time for the upgrade to complete.

5) After iTunes finishes restoring the backup you selected to your new iPhone, the iPhone will restart.

6) When your new iPhone appears again in the iTunes window, select it.

7) Click the tabs (Music, Photos, and so on) and verify or change the items you want to sync.

8) Click Apply to sync your new iPhone with iTunes.

9) Verify that your saved SMS messages, email accounts, passwords, photos, notes, and other personal settings are present on your new iPhone. Note that you will be required to enter your email account and voicemail passwords again. If you do not remember your voicemail password, you can reset it.

Note: If saved SMS messages, email accounts, photos, notes, or other personal settings are not present on your new iPhone, then restore-from-backup may not have been successful. In that case, verify your current iPhone is properly backed up (see step 2), then use iTunes to restore iOS on your new iPhone and continue following these instructions at step 4.

source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In step 5 above after abut 20 minutes I got the error messare "timed out" . Nothing was on my new phone.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXX, X self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

Are you running any sort of 3rd party security software (such as Kasperksy, AVG, Norton, McAfee, etc)? If so, disable or temporarily uninstall this software and try to repeat the process.