MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

My iphone was working fine and then suddenly just stopped working.

My iphone was working fine and then suddenly just stopped working. It won't turn on.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer:

Do you know what the problem might be?

MacTechTrainer :

Have you already tried connecting your iPhone with its docking cable, both into your computer and also at another time, with the wall socket adapter?

MacTechTrainer :

just to try two different ways to check and see if the charge icon will display>

Customer:

I only tried with the wall socket and in my vehicle and nothing happened.

MacTechTrainer :

Are you in proximity of your computer where you can use the USB docking cable to connect the iPhone into your computer's USB port?

Customer:

I'm in the process of doing that right now.

MacTechTrainer :

I am asking, only because if you are able to try this, but still are unable to get a charge, the issue may not be with your iPhone, it may very well be with your docking cable

MacTechTrainer :

I know- I have gone through at least two before

Customer:

nothing happened when plugged into the computer either. The phone was still at least 50% charged when it stopped working though.

MacTechTrainer :

so just like the car connect attempt and the attempt to plug it in with the wall socket adapter connection, the Dock to the computer, does not make a difference in regards XXXXX XXXXX an active re-charge activity, correct?

Customer:

correct

MacTechTrainer :

I am leaning strongly toward a bad iPhone docking cable- the only way to tell if this preliminary assessment is valid, is if you had a spare USB docking cable to test with your iPhone

MacTechTrainer :

wouldn't happen to have another one nearby would you?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I guess I don't understand why the phone would stop working when it was at least 50% charged.

MacTechTrainer :

What is your zip code of your current address if I may ask?

Customer:

21771

MacTechTrainer :

just the zip

MacTechTrainer :

Now that part I am going to recommend you try another step

MacTechTrainer :

but first, I need to know - it has shut completely off and you at THIS moment, cannot get it back on, right?

Customer:

correct

MacTechTrainer :

Ok try this:

MacTechTrainer :

What you can do, in order to resolve this issue, is start by resetting your iPhone
(Note: this does not remove any settings, data or media you have installed in your device)

MacTechTrainer :

• To perform a hard reset, press and hold your Sleep buttom (located at the top of your iPhone) and Home Menu button (Located bottom middle of your device) for approximately 10 seconds.
• Once your screen goes black, release both keys.

MacTechTrainer :

(If you see a white Apple logo before you release the keys you have held the keys to long and will need to start the reset process once again)

MacTechTrainer :

• The next screens you should see after the black screen, is the Apple logo screen followed by the main screen.

Customer:

ok, the screen came on and it says low battery.

MacTechTrainer :

Bingo

MacTechTrainer :

that is why I thought it went out

MacTechTrainer :

sometimes, especially in the midst of a battery decreasing in energy, it can drain faster that what it reports depending on what App or function you are performing on your iPhone at that time

MacTechTrainer :

some Apps or functions drain the battery faster than others

Customer:

so I need to get a new connector so it will charge?

MacTechTrainer :

I believe that might be the remedy

Customer:

ok. well, it's working now (not for long with the low battery). I'll get a new charger tomorrow. thanks for your help.

MacTechTrainer :

It was for me just a few months ago

MacTechTrainer :

Hey no worries

MacTechTrainer :

I am actually glad it happened to me just a short while ago, so I could be a witness and fellow partaker of this issue

MacTechTrainer :

for you :)

Customer:

I'm glad it wasn't the phone--that was my main concern. We can't live without them anymore.

MacTechTrainer :

I know exactly what you mean

MacTechTrainer :

getting an iPhone 4S in a few weeks myself

Customer:

It's a nice phone! Have a great holiday weekend.

MacTechTrainer :

You too!

MacTechTrainer :

thank you for allowing me to assist you. If you feel I have thoroughly assisted you, please press Accept to receive my answer.

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years