MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My iPhone stopped working.

My iphone was working fine and then suddenly just stopped working. It won't turn on.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist and glad to assist you.

Have you already tried connecting your iPhone with its docking cable, both into your computer and also at another time, with the wall socket adapter?

Just to try two different ways to check and see if the charge icon will display.

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
I only tried with the wall socket and in my vehicle and nothing happened.

MacTechTrainer :
Are you in proximity of your computer where you can use the USB docking cable to connect the iPhone into your computer's USB port?

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
I'm in the process of doing that right now.

MacTechTrainer :
I am asking, only because if you are able to try this, but still are unable to get a charge, the issue may not be with your iPhone, it may very well be with your docking cable

I have gone through at least two before

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
nothing happened when plugged into the computer either. The phone was still at least 50% charged when it stopped working though.

MacTechTrainer :
so just like the car connect attempt and the attempt to plug it in with the wall socket adapter connection, the Dock to the computer, does not make a difference in regards to showing an active re-charge activity, correct?

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
correct

MacTechTrainer :
I am leaning strongly toward a bad iPhone docking cable- the only way to tell if this preliminary assessment is valid, is if you had a spare USB docking cable to test with your iPhone

Wouldn't happen to have another one nearby would you?

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
no.

MacTechTrainer :
What is your zip code of your current address if I may ask?

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
21771. I guess I don't understand why the phone would stop working when it was at least 50% charged.

MacTechTrainer :
Now for that part I am going to recommend you try another step
MacTechTrainer :

but first, I need to know - it has shut completely off and you at THIS moment, cannot get it back on, right?

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
correct

MacTechTrainer :
Ok try this:
What you can do, in order to resolve this issue, is start by resetting your iPhone (Note: this does not remove any settings, data or media you have installed in your device)

• To perform a hard reset, press and hold your Sleep buttom (located at the top of your iPhone) and Home Menu button (Located bottom middle of your device) for approximately 10 seconds.

• Once your screen goes black, release both keys.

(If you see a white Apple logo before you release the keys you have held the keys to long and will need to start the reset process once again)

• The next screens you should see after the black screen, is the Apple logo screen followed by the main screen.

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
ok, the screen came on and it says low battery.

MacTechTrainer :
Bingo, that is why I thought it went out

Sometimes, especially in the midst of a battery decreasing in energy, it can drain faster that what it reports depending on what App or function you are performing on your iPhone at that time

Some Apps or functions drain the battery faster than others

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
so I need to get a new connector so it will charge?

MacTechTrainer :
I believe that might be the remedy

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
ok. well, it's working now (not for long with the low battery). I'll get a new charger tomorrow. thanks for your help.

MacTechTrainer :
It was for me just a few months ago. I am actually glad it happened to me just a short while ago, so I could be a witness and fellow partaker of this issue for you :)

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
I'm glad it wasn't the phone--that was my main concern. We can't live without them anymore.

MacTechTrainer :
I know exactly what you mean. getting an iPhone 4S in a few weeks myself

JACUSTOMER-if44fofj- :
It's a nice phone! Have a great holiday weekend.

MacTechTrainer :
You too!