Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

My itunes store has been frozen for a month. I have tried to

Customer Question

My itunes store has been frozen for a month. I have tried to do what the advisors told me to do by email, but i am not a competent computer user and the instructions were not very helpful. Everything they have told me to do has not helped and all i get when i go to the itunes store is a blank screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.

Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type

netsh winsock reset

and press Enter. Then check.

If that does not work, please continue with the next commands:

ipconfig /release , and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns , and press Enter.
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt , and press Enter.

Then restart the computer and check.

If it does not work:
Please click on Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings and make sure all the boxes are unchecked, then click on OK, OK.

Please download and save, and run the fix to reset the hosts file:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668866

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have done all of the above, not sure if i have done the last step correctly. the download section. i tunes still frozen
For the last step, you just click on it and save to your computer, then open and run it.

If it does not work:

Click on Start\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click on Change adapter settings on the left (or click on Start and type ncpa.cpl and press Enter)

Right-click on the connected device/item, then click on Properties.
Select the “TCP/IPv4” service in the list, then click the “Properties” button.

Then select the option Use the following DNS server addresses and add the following:

• 8.8.8.8
  • 8.8.4.4

graphic
, then click OK, OK. Then check. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry ! after i press ok ok where do i go from there. what do i press?
, then close iTunes program and reopen it and check the itunes store, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried to get on again and this time it says i tunes could not connect make sure your network connection is active and try again.
Are you able to go to the website http://store.apple.com/? You are sure your firewall program/setting is not blocking iTunes program? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i had my local computer man look at that and he said firewall was all good. what do i do to check it
Are you able to go to the website http://store.apple.com/?

Can you open your antivirus/security/firewall program and make sure that the iTunes program is not blocked in the firewall settings? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont know how. maybe i should wait and get my son to help me! i am not very computer savvy!
If you do not know your antivirus/security/firewall program icon/name on the computer to open, then yes, please check with your son. You can get back to me via this web page any time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have avast anti virus where would it be in the settings section, i cannot see anyting there that says blocked
Is it a free or paid antivirus program? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
free
, then it does not have firewall option; do you have any firewall program installed? Did itunes store work on your computer when connecting to the wireless at the computer technician's place? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont know, he said he did something with firewall and he reckoned it did work at his store, he also said he knew nothing about i tunes so i dont know what to believe.
Are you able to go to the website http://store.apple.com/? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Please reset the router: make sure the router has power, then use a paper clip to press & hold the tiny reset hole/button located on the back/bottom of the router for 10 seconds. Then wait a few minutes, then check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will wait for help with that one. do it tomorrow
OK, please take your time. Thank you.
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I TUNES STILL FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I TUNES STILL FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had to get local tech to come and reset computer after reset router.
I've given the suggestion to reset the router. Did the local tech try the same thing?

What did the local tech say? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pushed the reset button then we lost internet and i didnt know how to restore it. he came out and now he cant get the router to work so i have to get a new one i think. and i tunes is still frozen.
Don't worry, I will get the router working later.

Let's fix iTunes first. So right now you have the computer connected straight to the modem right?

Let's do a remove and reinstall iTunes. Go to Start, control panel, programs, programs and features and uninstall all itunes and itunes-related programs:

1. iTunes
  2. QuickTime
  3. Apple Software Update
  4. Apple Mobile Device Support
  5. Bonjour
  6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

, then download and reinstall itunes at
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried all that and it says it is currently working off line and have got more different mesasges happening about my connection. this is getting ridiculous!
Sorry, it's a strange issue. Is iTunes saying it's currently working offline?

Is the Internet working on the computer?

If you have another computer, does it work ? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes itunes is saying it id working off line . internet is working. the only other computer we thave is a lap top and that is not working because the router is not on.
Can you try the previous fix again:

netsh winsock reset

and press Enter. Then check.

ipconfig /release , and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns , and press Enter.

Then restart the computer and check.

If it does not work:

If needed, can you connect the network cable to the laptop and see if iTunes work on the laptop?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did the first step and pushed restart. itunes did the same thing waited 5 minutes and the bar up the top just kept moving no accesss to the store. has the tech done something wrong maybe. he rekons my router is broken now. has he done something to my connection. will i keep trying the other steps seems pointless if itunes is off line.
Sorry, whether the router works or not, as long as the computer has internet access, then itunes should be able to access the store, but it's not working.

I can get the router working again. What's the brand and model of the route and Internet modem? Who is your Internet service provider? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
router D Link model-DI 524UP modem-open networks model- iconnectAccess611 internet provider - westnet. i think he has done something to the wires to bypass the router. does that make sense
Can you use the router disk to re-setup?? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no do not have a disc
Can you reconnect the modem and computer to the router, then go to the page at http://192.168.0.1/, and select/enter admin for the username and leave the password blank, and log in. Then go to the Setup option, and go through the Internet setup? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i cannot. i am over it. i will get the tech to do it in the morning before he puts the new router in. I cannot get on internet now it says working offline. itunes sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there anything else he needs to do or should it work after he does those steps.
Sorry, it's strange. Test itunes with the laptop and check when the new router is set up. You can get back to me as needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
new router set up itunes still frozen. i dont think itunes is loaded on the lap top. Lost internet connection last night so couldnt reply. sorry
Sorry, can you load iTunes on the laptop http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it going to affect the computer at all. last time i tried it didnt work and i had to restore the lap top information to get rid of it. this has cost me a fortune and i dont want anything else to happen i would rather buy a cd it is getting ridiculous. lol
No, it should not affect. If there is any issue, you can always remove itunes from control panel. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have switched the lap top on and it says there is 2 updates available one is itunes is that all i need to click on. will that put itunes on the lap top or do i have to go to the website. There is an Itunes logo on the start page but no itunes in the control panel
Yes, just try the updates. You may not need to go to the website. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
a message comes up saying itunes has detected that it is not the default player for audio files.would lyou like to go to the default programs control panel to fix this
Yes, you can click on yes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
select extensions you want to open by default. what do i select
Select audio, or don't worry, just close it, and test using iTunes store, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
looks like it is working on the lap top
Great. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesnt have my purchase list on it though so will my ipod shuffle be syncd to it
Can you setup icloud on your ipod:
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
may i ask what that is
It is for synching to the apple icloud server, then you can sync it to your computer or another device, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so i wont lose what songs are on there already. do i do it on the lep top or on this computer
No, you won't. You do it from the iPod first, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i only have a ipod shuffle which is only about 2inches big it has no screen only a button in the middle for volume and skipping songs. It is not one with a touch screen or scroll screen
You can download and install the CopyTrans software
http://www.copytrans.net/copytrans.php
, then use it to copy/sync songs from the iPod to the computer.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do apologise but i dont understand any of that. i have tried to download songs from the lap top it wont let me because my ipod is syncd to this peice of s--t. why do i need to copy songs from the ipod to the computer. why is it this hard all i want is to download songs. do i have to erase all my songs and re load them on through the lap top
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my ipod cannot do any of the apps icloud and so forth. it is music only. why does itunes work on lap top and not on this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I thought you have songs on the ipod, not the laptop, but it's the other way around.

Can you see the steps at the link below to sync:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1719

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have just sent another email to just ask but am not paying another $46. the my tech gurus that were refered to me have rendered my computer useless. i paid $199.99 to have all viruses and all computer issues resolved for the nest 12 months. Mathew and Kevin were the techs, they took over the computer and now is doesn't work at all. I have spoken to them and they do not understand what has happened. Unbelievable!!! The just ask person waiting is Andy but i am not paying another deposit. So far i have paid over $300 to get itunes to work, and now have to pay to get the computer fixed again. This has been a ridiculous exercise to no avail and not over yet. They have offered to refund $150 and the $49.99 is for WORKMANSHIP, yeah right!!! Their workmanship is going to cost me more money. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
was refered to my tech gurus and they have stopped my computer working at all. Itunes was the only issue i had previously and now computer doesn't work at all!! have paid over $300 so far to get this itunes working and now whole computer shut down.
Hi, this is JustAnswer.com. I was working with you, and I don't see any additional charge at all; there is only one charge; I'm not sure who charged you for other amount.
I only worked with you to fix the itunes store issue, it did not work on the desktop, but we got it working on the laptop. I'm not sure which company was fixing your computer? Thanks.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi, yeah i didn't mean you charged me extra but someone refered my to "my tech gurus" through microsoft, thought it must have been you because i haven't communicated to anyone else. It was these so called experts who charged me the $199.99. I thought you told me it was a microsoft issue not an itunes one. I cannot use my shuffle on the laptop though because it is syncd to the other computer that has broken down. To sync it i have to erase alll songs that are on it.
No, I did not refer you to Microsoft; I'm not sure who did. We are JustAnswer.com, an independent support company, so we would not refer to microsoft.
You can use the CopyTrans program to transfer songs from the ipod to the laptop/computer:
http://www.copytrans.net/copytrans.php
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah well this has been a futile and expensive excersize so i might quit while i can and buy cds instead. i will try to transfer songs and that will be that. thanks.
, there was only charge from us about the iTunes issue; if you have any other question, please let me know. Thank you.