John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My iPad says disabled connect to itunes - no way to enter passcodes

Customer Question

my ipad says disabled connect to itunes---no way to enter passcodes what do you do to get ipad to work or open to put passcode in??
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.

Normally an iPad becomes disabled after the wrong passcode has been entered too many times.

Am I to understand that you do not have iTunes currently installed on your computer? What happens when you tried to install it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do i have to install itunes to get the ipad to work again??

Does the iPad give a countdown until the passcode entry will be unlocked or is it completely disabled?

If entirely disabled the iPad must be restored using iTunes. Sadly, if you have not been backing up in some way (such as to iCloud), this means all content will be lost. Though, purchased content can be re-downloaded after the fact.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the iOS operating system on the device and clear forgotten/disabled passcodes.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes
* Connect the iOS device to the computer
* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.
* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds
* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...
* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore
If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

Note: When the device first enters DFU recovery mode, the screen will be black.

At the end or the restore, you may be asked whether you wish to restore from iCloud. If you had iCloud enabled, you should do this.

Once the above is completed successfully, let me know and we can restore purchased content to the device.

If you have any questions, just reply back and we'll work it out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have installed itunes
Glad to hear it. Smile

Now, follow along with the rest of the procedure and if you have any trouble along the way, just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

whats the sleep wake button and home btton,I vey stupid here.

Ipad has white button on top and black shutoff button on side??

what do i do now

No problem.

When holding the iPad vertically, the sleep/wake button is the button on the top right of the iPad (that you use to put the display to sleep or to turn it on) and the home button is the round button right below the display.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ill try it
Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok mac.

What should i do now to enter passcodes,start new ones?? it does not seem to except my apple passcode from before.

You cant fix stupid but im stupid so try to answer what to do.

Did you complete the previous procedure? If so, what is on the screen currently? You should not be seeing a request for a passcode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

apple requests a passcode if i try to download a free game.

It says apple id password ***** my email then a white space bar to type in the apple id password ***** it's not taking my original one?? can I change it to work somehow so i can download games.

Ahh, I see. You're talking about the password ***** the Apple ID now.

Check your Apple ID and password ***** (choose "Manage Your Account"):
https://appleid.apple.com/

If you can't log in, you can reset your password *****:
https://iforgot.apple.com/
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

now if i had any pay games on this ipad would you know or did i loose them,my twins both have i pods at 6 years old so i made a mistake buying them so young but im sure they bought games because my amex card has smoke comming from it off itunes.

How can i see the pay games on this ipad??

Sure,

tap Settings and then "Store" and make sure you are signed in there with the proper ID.

Then press the home button to go back to the Home screen.

Next tap the App Store.

Finally, tap "Purchased" in the lower toolbar. You should see all your purchased apps there. Tap the iCloud download button next to each app you would like to re-download.
John T. F., Mac Druid