iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

ipad2 video problem. Recorded a movie on ipad. Cant play it.

ipad2 video problem. Recorded a movie on ipad. Cant play it. Stored in pictures as normal. Instead of a thumbnail, is a grey box, with a dark grey camera icon on it, says mov underneath. Put it on pc via itunes, tried it in quicktime, error 2048 - not a file that quicktime understands. Tried it in vlc - crashes. Very keen to play it.....girlfriend dancing for my birthday, say no more lol.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

Customer:

hey bud - took me a moment to figure out how to type

Customer:

you think you can help me?

iteachmac :

hi ,

Customer:

hi there

iteachmac :

maybe , This issue is not documented we l l

Customer:

hokay

iteachmac :

Is the file now on your PC . ?

Customer:

yes copied it to there - original on ipad

iteachmac :

Ok, does the file play on the ipad?

Customer:

no - its like grey box, little grey camera on it - says mov underneath. On pc its little bit of film, with a blue note next to it.

iteachmac :

Ok, On the PC m, can you see the file size ?

Customer:

800mb

iteachmac :

ok

iteachmac :

so there is some data there .

iteachmac :

Ok you can try conversion .

Customer:

yes - 800mgs worth of wine, persuasion and girlfriend lol

iteachmac :

There may be some issue with mp2 files , with the same error code also .

iteachmac :

Heres a conversion app:-

Customer:

havent tried any of the conversion options on pc when i look at the file - their worth a try also?

iteachmac :

Download this and use it to convert the file to a mp4 with aac audio , using H.264 or use a preset output .

iteachmac :

Does the video play in itunes ?

iteachmac :

Do you have other videos recorded and synced that do play ?

iteachmac :

Have you tried installing the latest Quicktime?

iteachmac :

Also install latest itunes .

Customer:

ok downloading app zip now - didnt try it in itunes, ive other videos that play, yes. quicktime is latest version yes

iteachmac :

there is a mp2 extra for quicktime , I cant be sure it will fix the issue also.

iteachmac :

Do other videos recorded on the ipad play ok on the ipad . ? is the issue just this one video ?

iteachmac :

These details will help determine the issue for all experts , If We cant find the problem , I can opt out to see if other experts can find the problem .

Customer:

ok - i will get stuck into your suggestions

iteachmac :

ok I think video conversion , may be the best shot , followed by codecs . if theres a problem with the file corrupt in some way , can you please try recording another short video on the ipad , saving it , and syncing to the PC , and play back test on both the itunes , quicktime and ipad video player.

Customer:

squared5 = cant find video or audio tracks

iteachmac :

OK , seems like a damaged video file , And VLC crashes play back . yes .

iteachmac :

Can you try recording a new video to test if the same issue repeats? Is much space remaining on the ipad ?

Customer:

yes

iteachmac :

was the file recorded always unplayable ? Or did the issue start after the sync or any updates?

Customer:

no - it never played - recorded just the other night. Checked it, and was as it is now

Customer:

same issue doesnt repeat

Customer:

have 1.2gigs left

iteachmac :

ok ,

iteachmac :

how big is the total memory size?

Customer:

memory on ipad2 - standard? 2gigs is it?

iteachmac :

if you record a new video does it play ..

Customer:

movavi = unable to initialize quicktime components

Customer:

yes a new video plays fine

iteachmac :

ipad 2 would be 16 32 64gb ..

Customer:

well - plenty of space i think - theres very little on it

iteachmac :

a new video plays ok . . ok .

Customer:

hmmm tried to open it in itunes - itunes doesnt seem to do anything

Customer:

still there bud?

iteachmac :

hi yes .

iteachmac :

Trying to find a next step ,

iteachmac :

Perhaps a video repair tool can fix the problem ,

iteachmac :

As I am a Mac support tech , Im not master on Windows application .

iteachmac :

I have found , :

iteachmac :

More research is need to prove results , But it seems free .

iteachmac :

DivFix++

iteachmac :

As Im not a windows expert it may be best to ask a windows video software expert for advice here .

Customer:

ok well - you helped me a bit - so ill hit accept - hmmmmmm sounds like i have to invest in more wine, and look foward to my next birthday lol

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.
More Wine is a good idea . :)