Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Can I tell if Flexispy or other spyware is on my iphone?

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You can only install the spyware apps (apps that watch over you) with a jailbroken iPhone.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am aware of that. I did not have my phone jailbroken. It is possible for someone else to jailbreak my phone, then install spyware, though.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes but you wuld know because you could not update it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
According to what I have read online, it is possible to jailbreak, install the spyware, and then put the settings back so you can't tell that it has been jailbroken.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Not in my experience. Was the phone ever out of your hands?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I left it unattended for awhile.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Where did you leave it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In my office at work. And the people who I think may have done were the people where I worked.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Really? It seems unlikely but ok:

Turn on your iPhone and open the "Home" screen. Hold down the "Power" button and swipe your finger across the bottom of the touch screen where it says "Slide to unlock."

View all of the applications on your iPhone. Swipe left and right to view multiple pages of applications.

Look specifically for an "Installer" application on your iPhone. There are several installer applications, including "Cydia," "Icy," and "Installer." If one of these three applications is on your phone, your iPhone is jailbroken. If they are not, your iPhone is not jailbroken.

Restore your iPhone if you want to guarantee that the iPhone is not jailbroken. Plug your iPhone into your computer and launch iTunes. Click the "Summary" tab and then click "Restore."
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My power button doesn't work. I can't figure out how to get into DFU mode. This is frustrating.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I didn't say anything about DFU mode I just said to Restore.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oops. Do I back up before restoring?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
It will do it for you, but you can