iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

how do you safely remove a flash drive from a macbook pro,

how do you safely remove a flash drive from a macbook pro, lion?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

If this is a USB flash memory card you can drag the icon to the Trash can , that is now acting as an eject .

iteachmac :

Alt1 , Right mouse the icon or Select CMD click , choose eject from the contextual menu .

iteachmac :

At2 , click on the Finder in the dock , A window opens , In the list of devices on the left hand side of the windows , there is a small eject button for any external or USB memory cards . Click the Icon to eject .

iteachmac :

Does this help .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Extras:

iteachmac :

Use Disk Utility to eject , if you only want to unmount a single volume on the disk, is to use Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities. In Disk Utility, simply select the volume you want to unmount and click Eject.

please follow one of these guides to add an eject to your menu bar .

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/osx-menuextras/index.shtml

or

http://www.creativetechs.com/tips/quicktips_51.html

You may be able to eject using the menu bar tool , select the desktop icon , use eject.

Customer:

it said to go to the finder and select my hard drive. I don't see it. should it be listed under devices?

iteachmac :

Hard drive will be named Mac HD etc .

iteachmac :

If you don’t see it on your desktop you can show it on the desktop , by , Finder menu , prefs . Tick on all the boxes . close panel .

Customer:

I followed the first link you sent me and there is now an eject icon on the top right. When i click it , it says superdrive. is that what i want? I also went to finder menu, prefs, and clicked all boxes but it didn't show anything that sounded like it was related to this. Do we have a different version or maybe mine doesn't show what yours does.

iteachmac :

hi

iteachmac :

Hi super drive is the DVD burner in your mac , When a DVD or CD is inserted you can use the menu icon to eject .

iteachmac :

That eject menu bar will eject only the DVD or CD .

iteachmac :

For Flash drives or externals , you can use the Finder window Eject buttons . see picture .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

or you can drag the desktop icon to the trash , that is now an eject button , see photo below .

iteachmac :

Also see Finder preferences , and set as shown for Desktop icons.

iteachmac :

Click finder , See Finder menu , Finder menu , preferences , General tab.

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

As you see in the photo , While dragging a external Drive icon , or flash card etc icon , to the trash can , The trash can now is looking like an eject Icon . .

iteachmac :

-

iteachmac :

Contextual menus via Right click or CMD click , you can use eject and get info and other options if needed to gather size info and rename files eject , copy paste , and so on . from a contextual menu. Known as right click on windows .

iteachmac :

Point the mouse pointer over an icon , then CMD click .

iteachmac :

The menu is displayed .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

From the contextual menu , you can eject external disks and flash drives and DVD CD .

iteachmac :

Does this help?

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Use Firefox with the JA site is you can access the chat text . Will switch to Q and A mode , so you can more easy read the above .

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.

Please remember to press accept button on each reply if valued ,
and bonus is welcome .

Thanks, again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the pictures help a lot. how do I get rid of the super drive eject icon on the top right? Also, what would you suggest would be the best way to save this and other chats? How would I "save as"?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.
Hi , To remove the super drive eject icon menu bar .

HOld option on your keyboard , and drag it to where you want it left or right , or out and release to remove .

The question here could be printed to PDF .

Come to this web page .

You can Print from the menus , and "Save as PDF" to make a PDF of the Webpage , this may help you in future .

Open the page ,

Go to the Menu : File . choose Print , or hit CMD P for print . .

The Print options open .

See PDF , click PDF , choose , Save as PDF .

Choose save location and file name , Save or Print PDF . .

A file will be saved to your Mac .

This should help you save or print any page or pages , you can do this from any Mac OSX application that supports printing via File print menu ..

-

and bonus is welcome .

Thanks, again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I must be doing something wrong. I can't get it to drag. While holding down the option key, I put the curser over the icon, held down the mouse pad to drag it. I was trying to delete it and drag it to the trash.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.
Hi ,

To drag a file , simply , Click on the Icon holding the click , and then drag .

Release click to drop .

Thanks.
iteachmac, The Duke!