loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I need to go through Citrix to get remote access for work.

I need to go through Citrix to get remote access for work. It is asking to load java,I know that is not possible is there something else I can do to get this iPad to work
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 5 years ago.

loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. It would be extremely beneficial if you would provide answers to the following questions please:

loadedmind :

Do you have a laptop you can try remote access with? I do not believe that iPad is currently a supported device for Citrix access.

Customer: It does work on my desktop...but I really need to use this iPad for work reasons, so is there Any way I can get this iPad to work
loadedmind :

Ok, do this for me please. Open App Store on the iPad. Do a search for Citrix Receiver.

loadedmind :

Let me know what you see please

loadedmind :

After you install Citrix Receiver, provided you found it in the App Store, you'll need to get the Receiver URL from your IT department.

Customer: I already downloaded the Citrix app...now when I try to log on remotely to work it. Says I need to load java
loadedmind :

What is the name of the Citrix app?

Customer: citrix receiver
loadedmind :

So you've already installed it and it says you require Java?

loadedmind :

At what point do you see this message? While trying to connect to the Receiver URL?

Customer: Yes,now it wants java
Customer: No when loa
loadedmind :

Can you please type the error message as it is displayed?

Customer: No when logging on to the work site
loadedmind :

loadedmind :

Also, when you type the URL on the iPad, I need you to please type that here, but please precede the URL with an underscore character or JustAnswer will not display the URL properly, ex. _http://www.google.com

loadedmind :

Still there?

Customer: Your browser must have java enabled to use the client for java...is the message I get
loadedmind :

Ok, thank you.

loadedmind :

And the URL?

loadedmind :

Are you typing _citrixreceiver:// as the prefix for the URL?

loadedmind :

remove the underscore character at the beginning

Customer: -https:[email protected]
loadedmind :

Ok, instead of _https, try using _citrixreceiver://

loadedmind :

Does that produce the same error?

Customer: This is confusing because I can get into the home page....but when I click on one of the icons that message comes up
loadedmind :

When using _https or citrixreceiver?

Customer: Hhtps gets me in
loadedmind :

What happens if you try _citrixreceiver:// ?

Customer: Safari cannot open that page
loadedmind :

Ok, it sounds like your IT department may be using an older version of the Citrix connector.

loadedmind :

Any idea what version they might be using?

Customer: No
Customer: Do I need java
loadedmind :

Ok, from here, I'd say your best bet is to get with your IT department, tell them what app you're using (Citrix Receiver) on your iPad and explain what you're trying to accomplish and see if they can either upgrade their Citrix version or provide another avenue for your iPad to access the remote content.

loadedmind :

Do you have to establish a VPN to first access your corporate network while on the outside or are you trying this while using their network?

Customer: They gave me a key fob..is this what you mean
loadedmind :

Your iPad won't be able to use Java in the manner in which Citrix is requesting it. This is the first problem. However, if their version of Citrix is at the latest, then you shouldn't have this problem to begin with.

loadedmind :

Yes.

loadedmind :

Have you ever successfully established connectivity to your remote network from the outside using the iPad?

loadedmind :

In other words, where you were able to access files after connecting?

Customer: Just bought this my this week...but from my laptop and desktop it works
loadedmind :

So, what I would do first is, try to access remote content without the use of Citrix from the iPad. It's quite possible your IT department may not be allowing connections from unauthorized devices.

Customer: Brand new...will I ever be able to use this for work...from what I read noe
loadedmind :

They may need to add your iPad into an allowed list before you'll be able to remote into the network. You'll also need to go into your Network properties (from Settings) and setup the VPN access according to the instructions only your IT department will be able to provide.

loadedmind :

It's possible, yes.

loadedmind :

The first step is successfully authenticating your iPad onto their network. Everything else comes second to this. Without a successful VPN connection, nothing else matters.

loadedmind :

This shouldn't be difficult, once you have the settings for the VPN from IT.

Customer: Thats good to know....since we had no success in getting what I need....do I still get charged
loadedmind :

Well, do you feel I've helped you?

loadedmind :

So that you know how to resolve the issue?

loadedmind :

If you don't feel I deserve an Accept, then by all means, don't Accept. But if you feel I've helped you get closer to your resolution, then Accept. The choice is yours.

Customer: Not sure....I guess I should have gone to them first.....but from all I read......people r not able to use iPad for work purposes because of the java problem.....if that ends up being my case..then no help at all
loadedmind :

Did you know about the VPN issue before you came here?

loadedmind :

So you believe I've been of no help?

Customer: Somewhat expected u or whoever to say go back to the work IT department
loadedmind :

They have specific VPN settings I couldn't possibly know.

loadedmind :

Nor should I know, by the way.

Customer: Ok bye.thx
loadedmind :

So, would you like for me to request a refund for you?

loadedmind :

Still there?

loadedmind :

Hello?