loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

When importing music into my iPhone from my laptop,how do I

When importing music into my iPhone from my laptop,how do I sort the songs so the most recently added songs are on the top of the playlist?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 2 years ago.

loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. Before we get started, it would help to know the following please:

* Which version of iTunes are you running? To find this, open iTunes, click Help at the top and choose About at the bottom
* Which iOS version is your iPhone running? To find this, on the iPhone, open Settings, choose General then About. I need the numbers to the right of the word Version please

Customer:

itunes= 10.3

Customer:

iOS= 5.0.1 (9A4O6)

Customer:

itunes= 10.3

iOS= 5.0.1 (9A4O6)

loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
Ok, what you'll need to do is create what is known as a "Smart Playlist" in iTunes so that, after the import, your iPhone will see the most recently added songs. Here's how:

1) Open iTunes if it isn't already opened.

2) Select File from the top, then choose "New Smart Playlist"

3) In the dialog box that appears, you want to place a check at the top for "Match all of the following rules" (make sure "all" is selected from the dropdown at the top

4) For this example, let's assume that you only want songs added in the past month. Choose Date Added from the dropdown beneath "Match all of the following rules".

5) For the next field/dropdown, choose "is not in the last"

6) For the dropdown to the right of the previous field, type"4" then choose weeks from the last dropdown on this line

7) If you have podcasts or other items, add another rule to this smart playlist and select Genre for the first dropdown, then choose "does not contain" in the next dropdown, then type Podcast in the last field.

8) Continue to add rules until you're satisfied with what criteria should or should not be included.

9) When finished, make sure "Live updating" is not checked. Also, you can choose how many items you want to include or, read, songs to include, in this case.

Optional - If you want to limit, place a check next to "Limit to" and choose the maximum amount of songs you want to include for this particular playlist. For this example, let's assume you don't want anymore than 100 songs. Check "Limit to" and input 100 in the next field. Then, for the dropdown to the right of the words "selected by", choose "most recently added".

Make sure "Match only checked items" is not checked.

Perform your sync in iTunes ensuring that, prior to the sync, you have chosen in iTunes to only sync selected playlists. Sync your iPhone with iTunes. You should now only see those songs that match the criteria given by the Smart Playlist you just added.

Additionally, I would ensure that you title your Smart Playlists according to the role they're supposed to provide.

If for any reason you're not satisfied with this Answer, or if you require further assistance, please do NOT click Accept and ask me what more I can assist you with.

Regards,