Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
63271161

my email wont respond, goes offline, cant send or receive

my email won't respond, goes offline, can't send or receive email on my mac. what can i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

NickMacIT :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your issues.

Open Mail. click Mailbox and select Take All Accounts Online.

See if it works.

NickMacIT :

IMPORTANT: PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS PAGE FOR FUTURE VISITS AND REFERENCE.

Please click ACCEPT my answer if it is helpful so I can get credit for this answer.

Thanks and have a great day!

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Customer:

i've tried that several times to no avail

NickMacIT :

Thanks.

NickMacIT :

when did this issue occur?

Customer:

earlier today. i tried to send a large file. now in the on my mac section of the mailbox, it shows it recovering the same mail several times

NickMacIT :

I see

NickMacIT :

Please give me some time. I will check back with you with a solution

NickMacIT :

seems like outbox issue.

Customer:

yes. it will not respond, i'll force quit, restart the computer, then it will go offline and not respond

NickMacIT :

Thanks

NickMacIT :

Will get back with you

Customer:

ok, thanks

NickMacIT :

sure

Customer:

it seems there's a lot of memory filling up in mail, due to the amount of the same large file being recovered

Customer:

i get the message server returned error "imap.aol.com" on port 993 timed out

NickMacIT :

Thanks

NickMacIT :

What email are you using? Gmail Yahoo Hotmail or other?

Customer:

aol

NickMacIT :

Thanks. so when you open Mail, it goes right to offline?

Customer:

pretty much. it goes offline when i try to do anything in it

Customer:

i'll delete the recovered mail, but it comes back into the recovered mail area

NickMacIT :

do you see outbox on the left?

Customer:

no

Customer:

just inbox, sent, trash, recovered

NickMacIT :

are you using snow leopard or Lion?

Customer:

snow leopard

NickMacIT :

thanks

NickMacIT :

Please go to Mail->Preferences

Customer:

okay...

NickMacIT :

do you see outgoing mail server SMTP?

NickMacIT :

click the menu and select Edit SMTP server list

Customer:

okay.

NickMacIT :

go to Advanced

NickMacIT :

Please enter your password XXXXX click OK

Customer:

ok.just did

NickMacIT :

then click OK and click Mail box and take account online

Customer:

did'nt give me that option

NickMacIT :

just close that account window

Customer:

ok

NickMacIT :

click the Mail icon to get new messages

Customer:

still has the ! icon next to inbox and aol

Customer:

and 3 messages in recovered mail

NickMacIT :

sorry i am out of ideas

NickMacIT :

let me opt out and will open this question to all questions

Customer:

i'm letting the recovered mails load one by one and deleting them. that might work

Customer:

each one has an attachment of 59mb

Customer:

well, that didn't work

Customer:

can i delete the aol account, then re install it?

NickMacIT :

Yes you can delete the account.

NickMacIT :

Go to Mail->Preferences. Select your AOL email and click - to delete the account.

NickMacIT :

Then click + and follow the screens

NickMacIT :

Here are the steps:

Access AOL Email in Mac OS X Mail As a POP Account

To add an AOL account to Mac OS X Mail using POP (which downloads newly arriving emails in a simple and efficient fashion):

• Select Mail | Preferences… from the menu.

• Go to the Accounts tab.

• Click the + button under the accounts list.

• Enter your name under Full Name:.

• Put your AOL email address (e.g. "example@aol.com") in the Email Address: field.

• Type your AOL password XXXXX Password:.

• Make sure Automatically set up account is not checked.

• Click Continue.

• Make sure POP is selected under Account Type:.

• Type "pop.aol.com" under Incoming Mail Server:.

• Click Continue.

• Type "AOL" under Description for the Outgoing Mail Server.

• Verify smtp.aol.com is entered under Outgoing Mail Server:, Use Authentication is checked and your user name and password XXXXX been entered.

• Click Continue.

• Now click Create.

• Highlight the newly created AOL account under Accounts.

• Go to the Advanced tab.

• Make sure "110" is entered under Port:.

• Optionally:

• Pick the desired setting under Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:.

• You can keep all mail on the AOL server without running out of storage. If you let Mac OS X Mail delete messages at all, they will not be available in AOL Mail on the Web or for download on other computers (or via IMAP).

• Close the Accounts configuration window.

Customer: Thank you. I wound up talking to apple support and fixed the issue. I appreciate your help
NickMacIT :

great!

NickMacIT :

so what was the issue?

NickMacIT :

did they fix the issue or they helped you create a new account on Mail?

Customer:

we closed the account and set it back up. thank you for your help

Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.