iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

My mac desk top computer is frozen and I cant get it to respond.

Customer Question

My mac desk top computer is frozen and I can't get it to respond. I have unplugged it and rebooted, but each time it is locked up on preview and won't respond to mouse or key strokes. When we unplug it and the open it under another user name, it works fine, so the computer isn't broken, just my user section is locked. I may have caused the problem by transferring a large file of photos onto my desktop.

I'm sending this question on my laptop. Help!

Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 2 years ago.

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

Please make sure your Mac HD is not full .

iteachmac :

Around 10 to 20 GB needs to be free .

iteachmac :

Also a new combo updater just out ,

iteachmac :

If your using Lion , please install this .

iteachmac :

But make sure at least 15gb free space on Mac HD . Many bug fixes .

iteachmac :

What OSX version are you using?

iteachmac :

Also you may want to do a safe boot before installing .

iteachmac :

A safe boot can help fix any Mac HD errors,

Turn off the Mac .

Power on the Mac .

Hold shift on the keyboard using a USB keyboard , while powering on the Mac and booting , boot to safe mode.

Once booted to safe mode , restart and boot as normal .

Full details here :-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

Customer:

I can't download anything. My computer is totally frozen.. I'm talking to you on another computer. How do I safe boot?

iteachmac :

Ok , as above , power on holding shift key .

iteachmac :

While booted if it boots , check Mac HD free space . Make room if space low before rebooting as normal.

iteachmac :

Remember to empty the trash .

iteachmac :

Ps , At what point does it freeze up ?

iteachmac :

You state you can open it under another user name , Can you do this to check MacHD space .

Customer:

I am trying the safe boot. it is taking forever. sorry

iteachmac :

Also if space good , install combo update , What version OF OSX Lion or Snow leopard etc ?

iteachmac :

Yes let it run .

iteachmac :

Dont power down during .

iteachmac :

It can take 25 mins . if problems are found . You wont see this , just a progress bar on someOSX versions .

Customer:

i don't know. i'm pretty tech stupid.

iteachmac :

How old is the Mac ?

iteachmac :

If you go Apple menu , about this Mac , OSX version is displayed .

iteachmac :

How old is the Mac ? what year new or used etc .

iteachmac :

What Mac design , desktop imac laptop etc ?

iteachmac :

Mac Pro ?

iteachmac :

imac = built in screen .

iteachmac :

Mac Pro = tower + screen .

Customer:

It's a desktop, maybe 3 years old. It opened in safe mode. There are thousands of pictures on my desktop. How can I clear it?

Customer:

it's an imac

iteachmac :

hi ,

iteachmac :

Ok do you have a Memory stick?

Customer:

yes

iteachmac :

Also you can tidy uo first by placing them all in a folder .

iteachmac :

First make sure the trash is empty .

iteachmac :

Then make sure space remains on the Mac HD .

iteachmac :

Select Mac HD then hit CMD i for get info .

iteachmac :

Remaining space ? in GB?

Customer:

There are so many they don't move when I

iteachmac :

Click on the finder

iteachmac :

This opens a finder window .

iteachmac :

Nav to Users , Desktop .

iteachmac :

View in list mode .

iteachmac :

Create folder .

iteachmac :

drag and drop all photos to the folder .

iteachmac :

once tidy , drag the folder to the USB memory stick .

iteachmac :

then delete the folder on the desktop .

iteachmac :

and empty trash , but please make sure the copy to the card is 100% .

iteachmac :

Also if you can , after checking Mac HD space is good , install the combo update .

Customer:

It doesn't respond because there are so many photos. I've gone to another user to try to check on the memory

iteachmac :

What version of Mac osx

iteachmac :

apple menu about this Mac .?

iteachmac :

Is snow leopard 10.6 , please use :-

iteachmac :

If snow...

iteachmac :

in list mode , you should be able to tidy up the photos .

iteachmac :

To find desktop in find , use Go menu , type /Users/yourusername/Desktop

iteachmac :

hit enter .

Customer:

I can't get to the finder. The whole thing is just locked up.

iteachmac :

To get to finder , Click finder on Dock menu lower left .

iteachmac :

a window opens .

iteachmac :

then use Go menu , /Users/yourusername/Desktop

iteachmac :

if you can seem to get to desktop , try trashing as many photos as you can , you can move them out of the trash to the memory card , just dont empty the trash before you do so .

iteachmac :

drag and drap file to the trash can , in dock lower right hand side .

iteachmac :

If the Mac still locks up , please log in to the user that is stable .

iteachmac :

And check Mac HD remaining space?

iteachmac :

This is important , if the Mac HD is out of space , the computer will fail.

Customer:

I'm getting there 45GB remaining. Plenty of space. Just all thes pictures on the desktop.

Customer:

Okay. I think I got it. I put all of them in a folder, put the folder in the trash and emptyed the trash.

Customer:

Yeah, I got it. Everything is cool. I'm hitting accept. thanks

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing