Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

i have a mac g5 that is about 6 years old. when i turn it

i have a mac g5 that is about 6 years old. when i turn it on, a small file icon appears in the center of the screen flashing a ? and the finder symbol. what is wrong?
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a circle with a line through it appreared
Are you sure it was off first did you hold the C key long enough, do you have the right disk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the computer was turned on...sorry didn't see that i needed to have it off.
i did hold the c key until the apple logo appreared
also, i am not 100% positive i am using the correct install disk. this is my grandparents computer that our family gave them for Christmas in 2005 i believe. the disk i am using is OS X Panther. Culd it be the wrong disk
Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then try again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just so you know what is going on....I have done what you said and the computer still has the apple logo showing.....patiently waiting for computer to do smething.
If it won't start from the system disk then you have a hardware problerm I'm afraid it needs repair, may just be internal hard drive but may be worse. Not really worth the cost of fixing if worse than hard drive faiure if you ask me.. too old. Sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I am using the wrong disk, does that matter? I mean would that keep it from starting up?
Yes it would
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i get the disk to eject? the eject button does not work
Try restart and hold the mouse button.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay. i think i found the original disk that came wih the computer. I powered off, held the c down until the apple logo appreared. now some script shows up in the upper left corner and a box apprears in the middle that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for sveral seconds or press the restart button." in four languages.....

what do i do?
That is a kernel panic you definitely have a hardware problem sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
aghhhh. bummer.

thanks for your help.
Good luck, thanks.