Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

Stupid me. I installed Lion to my macbook pro...and now I

Customer Question

Stupid me. I installed Lion to my macbook pro...and now I can't open my Quicken files. I keep reading that you can do an uninstall or a reinstall of the snow leopard...but I don't have a disk for that (that I know of). Pretty sure my computer came with snow leopard on it. Unfortunately all my tax records are on my snow leopard Quicken and I cannot retrieve them...I see I am not the only one with out a clone/backup...what can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

Claws224 :

To reload the machine with Snow Leopard you will need to have a copy of the Snow disk, If you have an Apple store locally you can get a copy for $30.00 Or if you dont have a Mac store locally you can order a disk from the Apple online store http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?afid=p228%7CGoogle&cid=AOS-US-SHOPIP-Google

The only other way to reload Snow leopard would be is you have a time machine backup of your system, So do you have a backup of the machine?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer:

Ok, so I can get the snow disk for $30...is that the best way to retrieve these files?

Customer:

or do you have another idea?

Claws224 :

Ok,

what you would then do is to backup your files to somethign like a USB memory stick then you can reload the machine back to Snow leopard and reload your quicken then restore the files.

Claws224 :

Can you tell me what version of Quicken you were using?

Customer:

2007

Customer:

when you say back them up...do you mean back up what I have going on right now?

Customer:

b/c I can't even pull up any Quicken at all

Claws224 :

Ok,

Your other option would be to try the new version of Quicken for LIon which is Quicken Essentials http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/mac-personal-financial-software.jsp

Claws224 :

That way you coule upgrade yoru quicken version and then just import your old Quicken 2007 files into the new essentials version

Customer:

do you know of people that have tried that and it HAS worked?

Claws224 :

Yes,

All you would need to do is load the new version of Quicken and then follow the steps in this article to convert your 2007 files into the new format and open it in Essentials http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/convert-quicken-for-mac-data-file-to-quicken-essentials-for-mac/GEN83225.html

Customer:

ok...so your saying to me that I have cried a river for no reason?

Claws224 :

Ummmm,

Sorry to say it, but................Yes

Customer:

lol...the people at the genius bar acted like I was screwed.

Claws224 :

however I am a Mac geek so I have come accross this before

Claws224 :

unfortunately with my own wife when she upgraded to Lion

Claws224 :

so I know how stressful it can be

Claws224 :

Luckily Quicken realised the issue with Lion and the older versions and released the essentials program then made the conversion file that you can get in the link I posted

Customer:

uh yeah...lost some sleep over this one...ok....walk me through this...what do you think I should do honestly...go backwards or forward?

Claws224 :

Personally as you have Lion I would look to go forward

Claws224 :

Instead of paying $30.00 for the old version of OSX I would put the money towards the new Quicken app

Customer:

is that what your wife did?

Claws224 :

once you have it either on a disk or by downloading directly from Quicken you then just need to open this link http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/convert-quicken-for-mac-data-file-to-quicken-essentials-for-mac/GEN83225.html

Claws224 :

yes

Customer:

does this condo save anywhere? my printer is out of ink...

Claws224 :

She loves Lion nad the process of backing up all her other files would have been massive

Customer:

convo

Claws224 :

Sure, you will have been emailed a link to this page and you can come back any time and access it

Customer:

ok...walk me through this....

Claws224 :

that way all you need to do is grab a copy of quicken essentials for Mac

Customer:

go to apple store...by new essentials

Customer:

download it and then get online and go to the link?

Claws224 :

Yes, Or you can get it online and download it from here http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/mac-personal-financial-software.jsp

Claws224 :

Either way

Customer:

seriously? I don't have to drive all the way to Tulsa?

Claws224 :

all you would then do is load the software and once loaded follow the link to convert your files and then open them in essentials

Claws224 :

Yep,

I try to make it easy if I can

Customer:

ok...question...should I get the disk? or just get it offline?

Customer:

i mean is it important to have the disk on hand?

Claws224 :

Personally I would not worry about the disk as you can download the file and then just burn the download to disk if you want to have a physical copy

Claws224 :

However you can go back to quicken and download it again at any time from your account

Claws224 :

think of it as a copy of the installer in the cloud

Customer:

oh wow...i didn't realize you could do that...amazing...learning a lot today...first lesson? contacting claws224

Customer:

ok and if this doesn't work?

Claws224 :

There is no reason this should not work as it is the path that quicken designed for this exact situation, However if you have issues quicken have full tech support to help get this working or you can come back here and let me know and we can then troubleshoot from there

Claws224 :

The only reason I could see this not working is if you have somehow deleted your 2007 quicken files

Claws224 :

Just to make sure all you need to do is perform a search and see if you find any files named .qdfm for example Data.qdfm

Customer:

ok, not that I know of...really thought Lion was more like an update...didn't realize it was a complete system change. do I accept now or after a couple of days of trying to get this to work?

Claws224 :

You can do it now or later, It is up to you as you can come back and continue with me even if you have accepted.

Either way I dont mind

Customer:

oh do you want me to do the search now?

Claws224 :

If you would, That way we can make sure you have something named .qdfm

Claws224 :

also once you find it do you have a USB memory stick or somethign you can save a copy onto

Claws224 :

that way if there are any issues you have a backup of that file or files just in case

Customer:

ok...your gonna laugh...how do I search ... just minimize this and search it?...yeah got all that stuff...but not sure I can find anything...

Claws224 :

do you see the little box with the magnifying glasss in it

Claws224 :

if so just type .qdfm and hit enter

Customer:

yes...

Customer:

ok...but won't that look online?

Claws224 :

great

Customer:

I will have to leave this page.

Claws224 :

Nope

Customer:

rofl

Claws224 :

just click in the search box and type .qdfm and hit enter

Claws224 :

Or I can tell you where to look on your hard drive if you prefer, however the search is easier and quicker

Customer:

ok...just says I have to leave the page

Customer:

so leave it?

Claws224 :

You were emailed a link to this page so just click it to come straight back

Customer:

ok...it is just a bunch of websites

Claws224 :

Hmmm, Wrong search box

Claws224 :

Can you open a finder window for me and then look in your documents folder and tell me if you see something called quicken?

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

yep can pull it up no problem

Claws224 :

great

Customer:

down in my little blue file that says applications

Claws224 :

do you see anything called qdfm or qif

Claws224 :

when you open it I mean

Customer:

no because it won't let me open it....I can pull up where it all used to be..

Claws224 :

when you pull up where it used to be do you see a bunch of files listed?

Customer:

no

Customer:

just license

Claws224 :

Ok,

Customer:

user guide.

Customer:

things like that

Customer:

no actual files

Claws224 :

Ok, Gimme a second to check the correct location

Customer:

hey I found them

Claws224 :

great

Claws224 :

do you see a qdfm file?

Claws224 :

If you are in the correct place you should be in the Macintosh HD > Users > YOURNAME > Documents folder

Customer:

I had to go into open in finder arrow button

Claws224 :

unless you saved to a non standard location

Claws224 :

ok

Claws224 :

do you see the data.qdfm or any .qdfm files?

Customer:

hmmmm doesn't say that

Claws224 :

ok, What does it say

Customer:

very top window says searching "this mac"

Claws224 :

ok

Claws224 :

that is fine as it is searching the entire machine

Claws224 :

including all sub folders and files

Customer:

man I want to send you a pic of what i am looking at.

Customer:

yes the files have the letters qdfm plus some numbers

Claws224 :

Great

Claws224 :

Can you make a copy of the qdfm files and copy them to a USB stick or a CD

Claws224 :

Murphys law states if you dont have a backup something will go wrong, Whereas if you have a backup it usually goes perfectly

Customer:

1Quickendata.qdfm

Claws224 :

perfect

Customer:

ok

Customer:

goes all the way up to 5

Customer:

nope 6

Claws224 :

can you back them all up

Claws224 :

Like I said just in case so murphy does not show his head

Customer:

ok...just stuck the thing in there...now what do I do...I have just decided I need a mac class.

Claws224 :

once you do that you should be good to go to get the new version and then run the data conversion program on each of the files one at a time so you can then open them one at a time in essentials till you have the correct one

Claws224 :

No worries,

To copy a file (or multiple files) from one Mac Finder folder to another, just hold down the [Option] key when dragging your files from one folder to another. This magic keystroke tells the Mac Finder that you want to perform a copy operation, and not a move so it will create a copy on the stick

Customer:

ok...where am I dragging it to?

Claws224 :

so open a finder window that shows the stick and then put the finder window with the qdfm files on top of the one that shows the stick and hold down the option key and drag each file from the one window to the other

Claws224 :

Either that or open the two windows one with the qdfm files showing and the other showing the USB stick

Customer:

can't figure out how to open a finder window.

Claws224 :

then right click (two finger click) each file one at a time and choose copy then click the window where the usb drive is showing and two finger click and choose paste

Claws224 :

do you see the USB stick listed on the left hand side of the window that shows the qdfm files?

Customer:

no

Claws224 :

Ok,

Claws224 :

If you look on your desktop do you see a white disk icon?

Customer:

no

Claws224 :

take a look at this PDF document to see the white drive I am talking about

Customer:

ok...it wasn't pushed in good enough...got

Customer:

it

Customer:

now

Claws224 :

great

Claws224 :

give it a double click and you should get a window that shows the drive

Claws224 :

then all you do is hold down option and drag each file from one folder to the other then let go and it will copy

Customer:

ok...dragging...but it is popping up and making a double image in the window...is that ok?

Claws224 :

Yes

Claws224 :

that is indicating it is a copy

Claws224 :

basically you are making a clone and moving the clone to the USB drive

Customer:

ok...done

Claws224 :

great, All of the qdfm files?

Customer:

yep and the user guide

Claws224 :

good

Claws224 :

you now have a backup just in case

Claws224 :

so now you can get the new software, load it and then convert the files

Customer:

ok...so why in the world can I not just open those silly little things.

Claws224 :

Lol, because 2007 quicken does not work on Lion

Customer:

ok...I will do that... probably get back in touch with you for some silly reason or another...

Claws224 :

Feel free, That is what I am here for

Claws224 :

honestly if you have any questions or need any help please just let me know

Customer:

well you have earned every penny...will it cost more to get back in touch with you?

Claws224 :

No, If you click the link you were emailed or come back to justanswer.com and log into your account you can come back to this question and you will not be charged again

Claws224 :

If I am not online when you get here, Just post in this thread and the system will email me and let me know you are waiting for an answer

Customer:

thanks a bunch...you have been a great help...might actually get some sleep tonight...have not slept for two weeks

Customer:

literally banged my head against the wall

Claws224 :

Well in that case I will wish you a good night and tell you to please let me know if I can help.

Claws224 :

Although I cant do anything about the headache from the banging the head thing

Claws224 :

Other than to suggest you dont do it again

Customer:

thanks...roflmbo...tx again...

Customer:

agreed

Claws224 :

You are very welcome.

Thanks

Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric...I have downloaded essentials....yeah....one step closer....I think...I was wondering if you would walk me through the next steps. Thanks...Jenn
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

Ok,

all you now need to do is load essentials from the file you downloaded and then once installed can you follow this link and download the converter application http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/convert-quicken-for-mac-data-file-to-quicken-essentials-for-mac/GEN83225.html

Once you have that can you then run the converter application and convert all the qdfm files one at a time.

After that is done and the files have been converted you should then be able to open essentials and then open the first converted file and seee if it is the current data, if not open the second file then the third fourth etc till you find which one has the data you need.

If you have any issues please let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...we did that last night...but for some silly reason it says we can only load one file from this program.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.
Ok,

Are you getting that message from essentials or from the converter?

Thanks
Expert:  Claws224 replied 2 years ago.

If it was in Essentials can you try to open Quicken then choose File then New and create a new Quicken data file, Once it is created can you then choose File then Import, and then select one of the other .qdfx you created with the conversion tool and then click open and let me know if it will then open or not