Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.

I bought a new computer and my huge iTunes library got transferred

I bought a new computer and my huge iTunes library got transferred in such a way that I cannot open any of the songs. I have tried downloading iTunes software again and that didn't open the individual songs (over 16,000 of them most transferred onto my old computer from my CD collection and about 300 from iTunes purchases).

Anyway, what I think needs to happen is to take the music which is all on my iPod and download it onto the new computer and then delete all the files that won't open. What do you suggest?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

NickMacIT :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you with your issues.

Do you have the files? If so you can rebuild your library

NickMacIT :

Here are the steps:

Customer:

This was not a Mac question. The new computer is a PC just like the old one.

NickMacIT :

That is fine

NickMacIT :

I can assist you as well

NickMacIT :

you have all those music files?

Customer:

Not sure. What does it mean when it says, you cannot play this song because the original file could not be found.

NickMacIT :

what it means is iTunes cannot find the file on your hard drive

Customer:

I believe the files are still on the new computer because the hard drive shows the same 66 GB usage as the old one did.

NickMacIT :

do you know their location?

Customer:

No, I just know when I click on the iTunes shortcut icon, the music list pops up with all of the items but none of them will play.

NickMacIT :

can you please go to iTUnes

NickMacIT :

click Edit->Preferences

NickMacIT :

then go to Advanced

Customer:

I am there. Preferences is open. I am at Advanced.

NickMacIT :

please type the media folder location

Customer:

C:/User/Owner/Music/itunes/iTunes Media

NickMacIT :

now on your computer

NickMacIT :

try to go to that location

NickMacIT :

open Computer

NickMacIT :

go to C then users

NickMacIT :

then owner

NickMacIT :

then music

NickMacIT :

then itunes

NickMacIT :

then itunes media

NickMacIT :

in there see if you have any music files

NickMacIT :

see anything?

Customer:

Only the four albums I have loaded on since acquiring the computer last week. The old music is not there.

NickMacIT :

how about this

NickMacIT :

go back to c:

NickMacIT :

do you see document and settings folder?

Customer:

I see Documents folder under Libraries on the left side of the screen.

NickMacIT :

do you see computer on that side?

NickMacIT :

click on Computer

Customer:

and then?

NickMacIT :

go to C

NickMacIT :

do you see Documents and settings folder?

Customer:

No. I see an Old Files folder. There is no Documents and settings folder showing on the C drive.

NickMacIT :

so you see old file folder

NickMacIT :

open that folder

NickMacIT :

what do you have here?

Customer:

There is a Documents folder under old files.

NickMacIT :

go in there

Customer:

Other files labeled Intel, ATF copy, application data, google and a few others. I will go into the Documents folder.

Customer:

Nothing in there but an expense report form for my company.

NickMacIT :

how did you transfer your files?

Customer:

Best Buy transferred them from the old computer to the new one. (supposedly knowing what they were doing.)

NickMacIT :

The problem is when they transfer

NickMacIT :

not sure if they transferred everything

NickMacIT :

since you said that you did not see anything else except the new files in iTUnes

NickMacIT :

means they did not transfer everything

NickMacIT :

do you have external hard drive?

Customer:

I figure they did something wrong. That's why I wondered if there was some way to transfer the music from my iPod onto the new computer.

NickMacIT :

do you have the ipod with those songs?

Customer:

No, I don't have an external hard drive.

Customer:

Yes, it has all of them. I just don't know how to get them onto the computer.

NickMacIT :

connect your ipod to your computer now

NickMacIT :

then open iTUnes

Customer:

Is there a risk that the computer will somehow delete them from my iPod rather than downloading from the iPod to the Computer?

NickMacIT :

nope

NickMacIT :

here is the reference page for doing that

NickMacIT :

so please take a look at that and follow the instructions

NickMacIT :

I will have to go out for dinner.

NickMacIT :

Will be back to check with you

Customer:

Understand. I got lost in the myriad of instructions after I got through the part that said you could download your purchased songs from itunes but not the other tunes on the iPod.

NickMacIT :

where is is?

NickMacIT :

what steps?

NickMacIT :

You need to set Manually manage and enable disk use for your ipod

NickMacIT :

then go down to

Copy music to new computer

NickMacIT :

skip all other steps

Customer:

Looks like it requires you to use the old computer to download music to iPod and then from iPod to the new computer. I don't have the old computer and the music is already on the iPod. Can you tell me what page you are on?

Customer:

OK I skipped down, plugged the ipod into the computer, switched the ipod to manual and now it is just saying Do Not Disconnect. I can't tell if the music I am playing on the computer now is just the ipod playing through the computer or if the music on the computer has been "fixed" There are so many songs it may take hours to tell, so I will leave things as they are right now. If it works, I will click ACCEPT and we will be through, problem solved. On the other hand it may be that I can only listen to the music with the ipod attached, which is not a solution. Will get bck to you.

Customer:

I didn't get the music to download yet, but at least Nick got me closer than anyone else has. Therefore I will accept.

Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.