Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

have just got a wifi3g 16gb but... it goes through set up but

Customer Question

have just got a wifi3g 16gb but... it goes through set up but i cannot get past the wi-fi bit!! keeps asking for hub. i have BTHomeHub2-4R6J &it says no password XXXXX - I notice the ipad does not have a sim. SO how can I access the flipping thing?? Surely I should be able to use it for photos & connecting to my Mac laptop?? Ta Gillie
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

You should be able to skip the WiFi Step. Can't you ?

Also if this is a iPad 3G, then it does have SIM Slot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it has a sim slot but I have not got a sim! & why do I need a sim to just use it without the internet????
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You don't need to use a SIM if you are not using 3G with it. It is optional...

So what is your current problem now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay so i'm an IT dumbo for sure... but i still cannot access the ipad's functions or over-ride the configeration bit as when ii press 'without wi-fi' it goes straight to 'connect to itunes' which i also cannot do..... HELP
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have iTunes installed on your computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, guess I have but never used it as when first had laptop did try but message came up to say could not connect and do not really need it so never persued it. I am connected to internet via a BTHomeHub/safari. And I really am an IT dumbo as you can see!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Connect your iPad to your computer with the USB Cable and open iTunes. Does iTunes recognize your iPad ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Connected ipad to Mac & opened up iTunes but nothing appears to me to be different.... ipad still says conntect to iTunes and cannot get it to do anything else.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you tried this on different computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do not have another computer - am home user
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you using a Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep - an iBook G4 which Iv had for about 5yrs
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
And what version of Mac OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its 10.4.11
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I got some Bad News for you. Your Mac OS X doesn't support your iPad. iPad requires iTunes 10 or later. And iTunes 10 requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later. You are using Mac OS X 10.4 and iTunes 10 won't work on Mac OS X 10.4. So there is no way to use your iPad with your Mac now.

You need to upgrade your Mac OS X 10.4 to Mac OS X 10.5

Let me know what you think...Only click Accept after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well this is not a surprise BUT I was given to understand when I bought the flipping thing that it was an independent unit and could be used, say for photos or stuff transferred from my iBook without the essential need to connect to the internet!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You need iTunes for everything, downloading and uploading photos, musics, apps and for everything to do with iPad.

Your only option is either upgrade your Mac OS X to 10.5 or buy new computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive just spoken to a friend who has both and she said I should at least be able to turn the ipad on and look at the screen so I will talk to the shop where I got it from tomorrow since I just cannot believe I cannot access at least the initial page without connecting to iTunes. Will get back to you then - okay
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Your iPad isn't activated yet and you need iTunes 10 to activate iPad. Belive me, you need iTuned 10 to activate and get started using your iPad

Just read this Apple Support article : http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/product/MC573Z/A?pqid=Q44AUYCTYHJD7AJJ7JYYUJHF2HXC9D77A
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention. You can activate your iPad with WiFi too. So if you can connect your iPad to any other wifi, you can activate it without iTunes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will have to try that tomorrow! Can I do this, say at Starbucks which has free Wi Fi??? I am at work most of tomorrow but will get back to you if I am successful - and I hope so otherwise I am returning the iPad to the shop.... good night for now. Gillian
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yep, that wifi will work. Good Night to you too !