Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am running Entourage Version 12.3.2 (111121) on an iMac running

I am running Entourage Version 12.3.2 (111121) on an iMac running Mac OS X.

I understand the Entourage mail database has a size limit. What is this limit?
How can I reduce the size of this database while maintaining access to all emails?

Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
The Entourage 2004 & 2008 database has no size limit, just a limit to the number of items in the Entourage database: 2 million database items.

Note: Database items, not Entourage objects (such as messages, contacts, events, etc.). Dave Cortright, Entourage developer, explains it this way: An email or news message is actually TWO database items, and for anyone with near a million Entourage objects (messages, contacts, events, etc.), they will almost all be messages - the other stuff will be "loose change". So the limit is effectively just under 1 million messages. Entourage will notify you if you ever approach the limit.

You could remove attachments but that is about it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for this information but it doesn't help me too much. In 2009 my Entourage crashed and I lost 6 months (most recent, important business and project information) of emails. I was told by my local Apple specialist that if the database goes over 4 GB, then it crashes. From what you say above, this is not the case.

My question is how can I shrink the database by archiving emails yet maintaining access to the emails if needed.

Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I answered you. You can't have access to them without leaving them in the database you can shrink the size of the database using the script I gave you to remove the attachments, the attachments can be saved. If you export the only way to access them is to reimport them.