David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

RA-ScE

Customer Question

I have done all you asked me to yesterday. Now I would like to continue.
Ray Grant
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Can you open this link and post your update in that thread.

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/66j8c-copied-library-pictures-folder-over-9000-items-the.html

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi David
Yesterday, as you requested, I sent you a list of 17 folders and files in the iPhoto library in pictures.
Sorry, but I am confused by your above request.
Regards, Ray
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

I needed the list of contents of the Pictures folder, not the contents of iPhoto Library.

The link I gave was to the original question. It's best to keep one issue in one thread.

We can continue here, but it would be easier to go to the link I gave you above.

When you go to that link add the requested information and I will get back to you.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
David, So sorry but I seem to be bogging down. The link you gave me (which I have now lost) gave me the original request page, I am sure this is not what I need. Is it possible to back-up to where I went wrong. Up to that point I thought I was doing pretty well – now I am thoroughly confused.
My apologies, Ray
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

No worries, we can continue in this thread.

The list you gave me was the list of files in the iPhoto Library folder in Pictures. What I need is the list of contents of Pictures. Pictures is in your home folder and contains iPhoto Library, I would like you to list anything else in the same folder.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Contents of HD Pictures folder:

CyberviewX Images iPhoto Library iPhoto Library copy
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Next rebuild the iPhoto Library.

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
3. Open iPhoto.
4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
4. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options.
5. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Let me know if this resolves the issue. Check the Photos list on the left.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi David did all the above. Took 1 hr and 15 mins. to run and another 10 mins for caches thumbnails.
No change. No pics previous to Jan 2011. All (over 2000 back to 2005 still in source folders.
Can we get them out of those folders into library?
Desperate, Ray
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray.

That's disappointing. Here are the steps to manually rebuild.

1. If iPhoto is open, close it. While holding the Option key, open iPhoto.
2. When prompted, select the option to create a new library. Call it iPhoto New.
3. From the iPhoto menu, choose Hide iPhoto.
4. Locate the iPhoto Library folder in the Finder (it should be in your Pictures folder), and open it.
5. Choose Find from the File menu.
6. Change the search scope to find files in "this folder" whose size is "greater than 30KB" and kind is "Images". Click the + or - buttons in the Find window to add or remove search parameters.
7. Click the iPhoto icon in the Dock.
8. Drag the search results into the blank iPhoto window to import these images.

Let me know if you hit a problem with any of the steps.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K. up to #6 What is the search scope and what exact wording am I to insert.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

There is no word to enter. The scope is where you chose what area of the disk gets searched. To the right of Search: click "iPhoto Library".

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not chosen "what area of the disk gets searched' This is a new instruction and needs explanation.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

That is all in step 6. Changing scope means choosing where to search. After you click Find in the Finder menu, there is a section on the Finder window toolbar that says "Search:" To the right of that click iPhoto Library.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Perhaps I am not opening the correct folder in pictures folder. In there I have choice of 3 folders
iPhoto Library - iPhoto Library copy and iPhoto New. I choose the 1st one. When I hit Find in the File menu (step 5) I get a page with heading 'New Search'. so can go no further!
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray.

Open iPhoto Library in Pictures. When you hit Find you should not get a new window. The same Finder window should have an extra toolbar that says Search:

You can see how it should look in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tXBmyLhTJE

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I watched 4 min of very technical info. for comp.experts that does not help me.
How do I get the correct finder window with extra toolbar that says Search?
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Open a Finder window and examine how the toolbar looks. Then open the iPhoto Folder with that Finder window. You will see a difference in the toolbar when you click File -> Find.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So sorry, I am not sure what a Finder window is. Is it possible to speak to you on the telephone.
I am sure this could be resolved very quickly that way. Feeling quite upset that I cannot understand the technical info.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

We can't be contacted by phone I'm afraid. I'm sorry it's getting frustrating, these things often are.

To know what a Finder window is, close all open applications and windows. Then click the File menu and New Finder Window. The box that appears is a Finder window.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did what you advised above. The box that appears is my HD window
Opened iPhoto Library, clicked file, new finder window and find and got the Search window again.
Round in circles we go. Ray
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray.

Have only one Finder window open, on the iPhoto Library. Look at the toolbar, then click File -> Find. Notice any difference with the toolbar of the Finder window?

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The toolbars appear to be the same
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about this Ray, that is very strange.

Next open iPhoto and drag and drop the Originals folder into iPhoto, into the blank part of the empty iPhoto window.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SUCCESS. Dragging the Originals folder into iPhoto worked. 2070 pics. needed almost 2 hours.
I have lost all my source folders but I imagine that is to be expected. I am just delighted to get all the pics. back.
I do have one more small question (nothing to do with iPhoto) can I continue with you. Please advise and many thanks for your patience.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

The perseverance was worth it, I'm very happy your photos were recovered.

If it's a new question and unrelated to the original question you can ask it on my expert page.
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-machelpdesk/

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One more related question:
In Pictures I have iPhoto Library + iPhoto Library copy and iPhoto New.
Can the last two now be deleted? (to save memory)

If I ask another unrelated question will this be included in the $58 charge?

Thanks again, Ray
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

You can ask a new question and it would be another charge if you accept it. You could go for less than $58 if you thought it was an easier question, but it would have to be a new question if it is totally off topic.

You can delete iPhoto Library and iPhoto Library copy, and iPhoto New is the newly created version.

If you like I can get a description of your question here, and if I think it's not an issue that is too far removed or to general for a new question, I will answer it here.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my HD pictures I now have 3 folders:
1. iPhoto Library
2. iPhoto Library copy
3. iPhoto Library new
Can I delete 2. and 3. in order to save memory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need an answer to my last question
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

Your new iPhoto Library file is called "iPhoto Library New" after the steps we took. Normally you would hold onto the other ones until you were sure you had all your photos, then delete them.

If you are sure, you can delete iPhoto Library and iPhoto Library Copy.

I just cam online, sorry for the delay. I answered it previously, I think you didn't see it.

Warmest regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you David,
If I delete from HD Pictures iPhoto Library and iPhoto Library Copy will they go to trash
can I then retrieve them if something is not right.
Does having all three on my HD slow down my already slow comp. (It does seem to)
Sorry I didn't see your previous answer earlier and thanks again for your patience.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

The contents of the hard drive doesn't slow your computer down unless you are left with very little. You should have about 1 GB free on your main hard drive. Putting them in the Trash doesn't free the space until you actually empty the trash.

No worries, if you have any problems don't hesitate to get back to me.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All done. Except for the hours of work ahead of me creating Source folders!
Do I hit 'Accept Answer' to bring this marathon to an end?
Final thanks, Ray
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,

You do click accept when you are happy that there is no more, but that doesn't prevent you from asking more on this topic ie the question does not automatically close after you click accept.

Thanks for all.

Warmest regards,
David.