CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

Hello, I did a sync between my i phone and macbook yesterday.

Customer Question

I did a sync between my i phone and macbook yesterday. First I updated my i tunes software, then my i-phone software. I imported about 800 photos using "import selected". I watched them import. At the end of the import they did not appear in iphoto. I did it again. Same thing. Today I discovered that 3/4 of those photos that did not successfully import have now been erased off my iphone.
When I look in iphoto and click on devices then click on "hide photos already imported" only three photos show up (not 800) so my iphoto thinks the photos have been imported but I cannot find them.
Help please!!
Thanks you,
Yasmeen
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

ComputerCare1199 :

hi

ComputerCare1199 :

give this a try

ComputerCare1199 :

find iPhoto Library. Open the folder preferences (I don't know the term how to do it, but on my macbook I use two fingers to tap it open). Select "Show Package Contents" and then look for iPod Photo Cache. Take that file and trash it!! Go back to your iTunes, and sync your photos

Customer :

I cannot find "show package contents"

Customer :

Also I cannot sync from itunes because the photos have been erased off my phone

ComputerCare1199 :

did you still have your photo on your mac

Customer :

Could you please re-read my question. The issue is that I imported the photos, i photo says they have been imported, but they do not show up in i photo. I cannot find them.

ComputerCare1199 :

you might want to try this software

ComputerCare1199 :

is alot better than itunes.

ComputerCare1199 :

try to go into system preferences and do software update

ComputerCare1199 :

and see if that fix your itunes import problem

Customer :

I have already done all my software updates.

Customer :

Specifically now I need help with recovering the lost photos, wherever they may be.

ComputerCare1199 :

Follow these steps to rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. For iPhoto 2, hold down the Shift and Option keys on the keyboard.
    For iPhoto 4 and iPhoto 5, hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. Name and save the library.
ComputerCare1199 :

try to rebuild our iphoto

Customer :

I have I -photo vs. 8.1.2 (424) ...is that iphoto 2 , 4 or 5?

Customer :

will rebuilding the photo library help to 'restore' the lost photos?

ComputerCare1199 :

same with with iphoto 8

ComputerCare1199 :

hold command + option key

ComputerCare1199 :

sometime rebuild it will help recovery all photo from library

ComputerCare1199 :

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
ComputerCare1199 :

I would recommend you, go into your iphoto folder. make a copy of it

ComputerCare1199 :

and paste into desktop for backup

Customer :

which options should I choose...all of them?

Customer :

which options should i choose..all of them?

ComputerCare1199 :

pick all except rebuild from automatic backup

Customer :

ok

Customer :

it says it might take a while

ComputerCare1199 :

since you have a lot of phot

ComputerCare1199 :

photo

ComputerCare1199 :

i brb, just give me update when it done

ComputerCare1199 :

thanks